Just discovered FreeOrion,

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Isengrim
Space Floater

Just discovered FreeOrion,

#1 Post by Isengrim »

I just started playing FO and wanted to thank you guys, its one of the best tbs games ive played in a while.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Just discovered FreeOrion,

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Thanks! :D

And welcome ;)

Isengrim
Space Floater

#3 Post by Isengrim »

Is there still a need for 3d models?I would enjoy contributing if there's room.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Isengrim wrote:Is there still a need for 3d models?I would enjoy contributing if there's room.
That depends on what you mean by "a need for 3D models". Currently it looks like our plans for tactical 3D combat will be dropped - we just don't have the resources/manpower to implement a decent 3D tactical combat engine. So, there will probably be no need for 3D models for that use case.

However, we still use large ship hull graphics (see here) on the design screen and smaller versions (see here) as icons for these ship hulls in the fleet window. Those graphics are usually renderings of 3D models made e.g. with Blender. Take a look at the current graphics, you'll see there are still a lot of them which aren't of particular high quality. You're certainly welcome to provide replacements for our low quality placeholder graphics. :D

The Graphics forum is the place you want to go to, there is even a recent thread about new ship hull graphics.

Isengrim
Space Floater

#5 Post by Isengrim »

Thank you, one more question:what is the rules/etiquette for posting in threads that haven't been posted in for a while?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Isengrim wrote:Thank you, one more question:what is the rules/etiquette for posting in threads that haven't been posted in for a while?
Define "for a while" ;)

Posting in several year old threads is probably pointless, but if the last post has been only a few months ago, feel free to try. Worst case, you won't get any response. As far as rules/etiquette is concerned, we're not overly strict on those things. I can't remember anyone having received a warning or something like that for posting in stone-aged threads. Very rarely I've seen someone new posting in threads that have been maybe two or three years old? No one ever said anything, they just didn't get any replies.

That said, if someone decided to necromance old threads on a large scale, we would react of course. We're usually quite patient with the occasional odd new forumite, but disruptive behavior won't be tolerated. Here is a post about "Conduct and environment", it's over 12 years old, but if you adhere to what Aquitaine laid down there, you should be on the safe side. :D

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

I, personally, would rather bring up an old thread and add to it than start a new thread, as long as it's relevent to the discussion. We've sometimes had people both necro an old thread and go wildly off topic, that's pointless and annoying. But if what you're discussing is relevent to what was previously discussed, then normally that's preferable but it's always a judgement.

I've never understood forums that insist "thread necromancy" should be banned, especially if the forum is on and about a specific topic.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.