FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:39 pm 
Release Manager, Design

I've created a couple of new tags on github for issues and pull requests: "idea", "request", "testing requested", "work in progress". All these should be more or less self-explaining, maybe with the exception of "request": don't know if we are really going to need that, but I put it in for requests that aren't either feature requests or requests for testing.

Two additional labels I created some time ago: "documentation" (pls use for issues/PRs concerning any kind of docs, be it technical like docs for the Python interface, FOCS, or game documentation like the quickstart guide, etc.), "scripting" (pls use for all issues/PRs concerning FOCS and Python scripts).

Objections, corrections, suggestions, comments?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:07 pm 
Programmer

Based on the comments, not sure if https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/576 is in a state ready to be tested yet.

Maybe split scripting into FOCS and AI?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:20 pm 
Release Manager, Design

dbenage-cx wrote:
Based on the comments, not sure if https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/576 is in a state ready to be tested yet.
Well, I inferred that from the "[Testing required]" remark in the PR title. But if you want, I can remove that tag.
Quote:
Maybe split scripting into FOCS and AI?
Hm, I'm a bit torn. On the one hand I've been considering a split between FOCS and Python myself (which also makes much sense), on the other hand I don't want to create too many tags, otherwise the tag list gets cluttered/confusing. But an "AI" tag probably makes sense, you can then combine that with "scritping" if you want to specifically refer to Python AI scripts?

What do the others think?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 pm 
Creative Contributor

#576 specifically is testable,b ut at a very early stage, it's going to need some serious work to balance it, plus the whole of the fighter setup needs bughunting, etc. I've got some work done on a first pass at balancing the individual parts (and it was nice to see the AI adapt designs based on me changing costs and strengths of some things), etc.

I think it's a prime example of a good 'testing required' tag as it can't be merged in until it's been heavily tested.

On other issues, I'd like to see a separation of FOCs stuff and AI stuff, for a number of reasons but partially because FOCs stuff can be given to a brand new contributor who may not really know how to code at all, whereas AI stuff is advanced need to know how it works and work with the team stuff.

I can't really contribute to AI stuff, but am heavily involved in FOCS stuff which is where our new scripters want tob e pointed at, so I'd like to see a split (we have a 'scripting' folder as well as an AI folder within default now so it makes sense).

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.