Settings to be adjusted for the 0.4.6 release

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Settings to be adjusted for the 0.4.6 release

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Last time we had a discussion about which settings we want to change/adjust for the release.

So I wanted to ask: anything that comes to mind, or you think should be changed/adjusted, anyone? Such changes/adjustments would have to be committed to the release branch before I can produce RC1.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Settings to be adjusted for the 0.4.6 release

#2 Post by MatGB »

I'm happy with Disc as the default, I'll do my normal playthrough of a few seeds to see what it's like.

Perhaps dump the AI down to "Typical" instead of Maniacal? And obviously comment out the Super Testers.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If the consensus still supports it, the default font size can be reduced a bit. I do recall seeing at least one or two posts that liked it bigger, though.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

By "a bit" you mean to 14 (text) / 15 (window titles) I guess? That's certainly ok for me, I preferred the old default size anyway.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

I put the old size into my persistent config, I never saw the need for the change, but some people do prefer it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#6 Post by LGM-Doyle »

I would change the AI default to Beginner.

That way new players have a series of positive experiences, as they win, defeat an AI and increase the level of difficulty.

The other way a new player might have a series of slightly negative experiences, as they lose and have to dial down the AI aggression, while they learn the game mechanics.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

Old default size worked just fine for me.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by Bromstarzan »

LGM-Doyle wrote:I would change the AI default to Beginner.

That way new players have a series of positive experiences, as they win, defeat an AI and increase the level of difficulty.

The other way a new player might have a series of slightly negative experiences, as they lose and have to dial down the AI aggression, while they learn the game mechanics.
I think this is a good idea (speaking of own experience).
People tend to jump into maniac without understanding the game mechanics and quickly rage-quit, pardon my expression. FO is simply a game you need to learn while playing beginner for a start. Just my two space cents.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Doc Tectonic
Krill Swarm

#9 Post by Doc Tectonic »

Geoff the Medio wrote:If the consensus still supports it, the default font size can be reduced a bit. I do recall seeing at least one or two posts that liked it bigger, though.
I would definitely appreciate a smaller font size. Screen real estate is at a premium on my laptop, and every bit of saved space is welcome.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Let me summarize the proposed changes to the default setting for the release:
  • Set AI aggression to "Beginner"
  • Reduce default font size to 14 (for text) and 15 (for window titles)
Are these a consensus all of you can agree to? Anything else you think should be adjusted? If no objections arise, I'm going to commit those adjustments to the release branch once it's created (although we can still change them afterwards, but of course before I produce RC1 ;)).

adrian_broher
Programmer

#11 Post by adrian_broher »

Does the font size reduction consider that we use another default font now?

Because the general metrics of Roboto are very different. For example Vezzra opened #940, which clearly shows that the multiplayer UI is broken with the old DejaVu fonts. But comparing the current layout with Roboto I'm inclined to close as 'wontfix' as it looks almost okay.

Compare yourself:

Old DejaVu:

New Roboto:

Also reducing the font size won't give you many more 'free' screen space as Doc Tectonic hopes for because most UI elements don't consider font size when calculating bounds.

That said I don't really care about new defaults for a font size.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

You screenshot is probably from Linux? Because on OSX with Roboto it now looks like this (see also my reply in #940):

So, while better, still not acceptable. A reduced default font size should get rid of the problem entirely, but that window should display correctly independent of chosen font size.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#13 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:You screenshot is probably from Linux?
Yes it is.
Vezzra wrote:A reduced default font size should get rid of the problem entirely, but that window should display correctly independent of chosen font size.
When writing the previous post I didn't expect the font rendering this different between OSes. So reducing the default font size is probably a good idea.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:When writing the previous post I didn't expect the font rendering this different between OSes.
Yes, I was quite surprised too when I noticed the differences between the OSes after the switch to the larger default font sizes. OSX in particular seems to render fonts noticeably bigger...

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#15 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote: [*]Reduce default font size to 14 (for text) and 15 (for window titles)[/list]

Are these a consensus all of you can agree to? Anything else you think should be adjusted? If no objections arise, I'm going to commit those adjustments to the release branch once it's created (although we can still change them afterwards, but of course before I produce RC1 ;)).
As it seems OSX renders fonts bigger, 14pt (text) and 15pt (titles) look tiny on windows (seven):
font_size_14-15.PNG
font_size_14-15.PNG (155.27 KiB) Viewed 6420 times

For comparison:

Font sizes: 15pt / 16pt (old default font size used with DejaVuSans)
font_size_15-16.PNG
font_size_15-16.PNG (165.18 KiB) Viewed 6420 times

Font sizes: 16pt / 17pt (current default value implemented with new Roboto font)
font_size_16-17.PNG
font_size_16-17.PNG (171.35 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
For my part, even if I prefer 16pt/17 pt, I'm OK with 15pt/16pt though.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.