FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
Programmer

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 pm
Posts: 198
The fighters addition is the result of work/improvement in a lot of different areas. It should have its own section in the change log. We can highlight component contributions like the backend combat code, the AI changes, the fleet wnd popup etc. This keeps the focus on the fighters changes, so they are not just another thing that changed.

There have be several improvements to the browse and context menus, tab bar ship icon, sidepanel species, etc. The improvements are noticeable, but subtle.

We should highlight the changes to the CI. There has been great improvement. We have automated build on the three major platforms that we support. Of all the changes it may be the one with the most long term positive impact.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12013
Location: Munich
CI?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
Programmer

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 pm
Posts: 198
Continuous Integration (CI)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:15 am 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12013
Location: Munich
Please avoid using such abbreviations in posts, particularly out of context.

Key changes are the big bullet points that might make someone want to try out a new release. They are not a list of what took the most work to implement, or what useful project infrastructure has been established since the last release.

"Improved tooltips" is borderline, and a single tooltip is too specific.

"Added fighters to combat system, with related parts and techs" is good (probably with some rewording).

Something about the build system is not relevant for a player.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
The deadline for the creation of the release branch is fast approaching, and there are still a couple of unresolved/unmerged issues/PRs for the 0.4.7 milestone. #1441 (changelog) and #1457 (README revision) don't necessarily need to be ready, they only affect documentation, so it's no big deal to cherry pick them to the release branch afterwards. But the rest needs to be finished before the release branch can be created.

As these are mostly AI related, my question to the AI team: do you think you can get everything done until coming Sunday? Or do you need more time?

The only other item (at the time of this post) is the toning down of the Solar hull (#1400), which Mat is already working on. Mat, do you think you'll make it, or do you need more time?

Please let me know, if we need to postpone the creation of the release branch, I prefer to not have to do that in the last moment. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:23 pm 
Offline
AI Contributor

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am
Posts: 224
Vezzra wrote:
As these are mostly AI related, my question to the AI team: do you think you can get everything done until coming Sunday? Or do you need more time?


I have finished what I intended to finish. The changes to adapt the AI to the fighter vs planet mechanics still need review/approval by Dilvish.
He also wanted to take on the task to update the research path.

Unless major issues turn up, I expect that updating my PR and reviewing his changes would then take no more than one day.

_________________
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
Update: We are now less than 24 hours away from the deadline for the creation of the release branch. Only three issues/PRs are left open, one of which is the changelog which usually is done on the release branch anyway. The other two will get cherry picked to the release branch if they aren't finished in time, so won't hold up the creation of the release branch either.

Which means, at the current state of things, the creation of the release branch is going to happen as planned (unless any major issues turn up). If anyone thinks there is an important reason to postpone this, please tell in time (and give the reason of course). Consider this the final call. ;)

I have updated the 0.4.7 checklist issue and added exact times to the deadlines of the creation of the release branch (April 9th, 4pm UTC) and RC1 (April 13th, 12 noon UTC).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:18 am 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12013
Location: Munich
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... a88a330e0d

First draft changelog committed. Probably needs a spellcheck. Might be missing a few recent changes since I exported the logs, and probably missed a few points in the middle, but I couldn't spent too long reading every point in the 7600 lines of logs.

Also, commit messages that actually say what a commit does, rather than "fixes #1123" or similar would be much more useful for this purpose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
Geoff the Medio wrote:
First draft changelog committed.
Thanks for again taking that burden, I appreciate that very much (knowing how painful it would be for me if I had to do this).
Quote:
Might be missing a few recent changes since I exported the logs
Before I produce RC1, I intend to go over the recent commits to add anything worth mentioning that might have gone in in the meantime. Up until which commit did you check the commit log?
Quote:
and probably missed a few points in the middle, but I couldn't spent too long reading every point in the 7600 lines of logs.
I guess there will always be some things we miss, the effort to make sure the changelog is perfect would probably be a bit too much. However, one thing that could help is looking at the list of closed issues/PRs assigned to the "0.4.7" milestone. Maybe it would be easier to compile the first draft from that, and afterwards go over the commit log to fill in what might have been missed?

Anyway, everyone who can spare the time should go over the changelog and check for errors, missed things, etc. Especially those who made contributions should check for the things they contributed, everyone knows their own contributions probably best. So please, everybody, take a look if the things you contributed have been covered.

Also, please commit updates to the changelog to the release branch after it has been created (which will happen soon, just going to have dinner now ;)). After the release is out, I will cherry pick all updates to the changelog in the release branch to master.
Quote:
Also, commit messages that actually say what a commit does, rather than "fixes #1123" or similar would be much more useful for this purpose.
Hm, did you get commits with only such lines? This indeed needs improvement. At least such lines should be followed by a paragraph with a bit more detail... so please, fellow devs, let's show our appreciation for Geoffs efforts by providing him with more meaningful/substantial commit messages in the future (without going overboard by writing novels of course ;)).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
The release branch for 0.4.7 has been created.

Currently only one item assigned to the "v0.4.7" milestone is left open, which is the adjustment of the stealth stats for the protoplasmic and symbiontic hulls. As this is a very simple change, it will be cherry picked to the release branch once it's merged.

All fixes should be committed to master, those that contain fixes for issues/bugs that have been in master prior to the creation of the release branch are going to be cherry picked into the release branch, but nothing else. Please, everyone, if you open a PR with a fix that should also go into the release, tag it as "cherry pick for the release". If you commit such a fix directly, please post a request for cherry picking here in this thread. Or, preferably, do the cherry picking yourself (in case of PRs this applies only to those with commit access of course).

Post 0.4.7 work can now continue on master (meaning, PRs that have been on hold can now be merged, etc.).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:23 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
I went over the issues/PRs of the "v0.4.7" milestone, found some items that apparently have been missed in the first draft of the changelog, and updated the changelog accordingly. If someone could check if my additions are correct (maybe I missed that some/all of these items have already been covered), and also check for spelling/phrasing (preferably by a native speaker).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
Another changelog update: applied all the suggested fixes, and also added the changes that went in after Geoff compiled the first draft. Again, pls check spelling, wording, and maybe if I missed something that should have gone in.

Less than 24 hours until RC1, so if there is anything left that needs to be addressed, get to it now. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3259
Quote:
Addded dialog to ask user about waiting for savegame to complete before quitting.
It's penultimate in the GUI list.

I (again) find the GUI list horribly confusing, would anyone object if I tried to organise entries together so that eg all Sitrep stuff is in the same place?

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4241
Location: Sol III
MatGB wrote:
would anyone object if I tried to organise entries together so that eg all Sitrep stuff is in the same place?
As far as I'm concerned, by all means, please go ahead!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.7 preparations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12013
Location: Munich
MatGB wrote:
I (again) find the GUI list horribly confusing...
It was compiled based on the order stuff appeared in the commit logs, not any thematic organization beyond "is this GUI-related?".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group