Is combat finally implemented?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
wenex
Space Krill

Is combat finally implemented?

#1 Post by wenex »

I have just 1 Question: Is a combat system finally implemented?

(Because: I wait years now. I like free orion, but I do not want to play the game if there is no combat. You did like to have a real time combat but I would be happy with a turn based one. It just need to have control ideas so it does not get old with many ships.

I always was looking for a master of orion 2.5. I had ideas how to make one. Free Orion is the best alternative I know.

I hear now that master of orion 4 is out or will come, and it is a relaunch of master of orion 1. This means that you took too long to make the game, because the original makers will make it as I wanted to make it. (more or less, but I assume they will make it like the original but with improvements where the original fall short.

The truth is, I do not even want to try the game and play until I have an encounter just to realize that you have not implemented a combat system after years of waiting.)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Is combat finally implemented?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi wenex,

we have only a galactic combat system. So you have the choices of designing, building and deploying your ships. Combat gets autoresolved, you get a text report.
I don't think you are really looking for that.

The fourth official master of orion came out 2016; reception was mixed. Biggest strength is nice acting or something.

So I am afraid you have to wait some more years for a masters of orion 2.5
I don't know when you looked last time at the game. It has been definitely playable for a while.
Next release introduces fighters as an alternative to heavy ship weapons.
Their main advantage is that they enter inside the enemy's ships' shields and fire from there.

If you give it a try, we certainly would love to hear from your experience.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

Freeorion has one great advantage over other mostly all 4X TBS games for multiplayer either opensource or not. It allows players to make their turns in parallel without waiting other players or worrying if something changed before next turn.

Non-automatic combat system breaks this advantage, increases micromanagement in game and waste amount of time in player-player interaction.

So I hope this game will never acquire neither real time combat like freeciv nor turn based like HoMM and mostly other TBS.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

o01eg wrote:Freeorion has one great advantage over other mostly all 4X TBS games for multiplayer either opensource or not. It allows players to make their turns in parallel without waiting other players or worrying if something changed before next turn.

Non-automatic combat system breaks this advantage, increases micromanagement in game and waste amount of time in player-player interaction.

So I hope this game will never acquire neither real time combat like freeciv nor turn based like HoMM and mostly other TBS.
This is the conclusion I have come to as well, the initial plan was for a combat system to resolve battles but the Devs behind that left the project before I was onboard and given the number of battles per turn that you can sometimes end up with, having an auto resolve system that works well is a better approach for me as well.

The current turn/round based combat resolution is relatively new and still being worked out but I like it and it means you can just get on with things every turn.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by Bromstarzan »

The whole game is a combat system, right? :lol:
I really don't see the point in having a separate combat "event" that you can control in more detail than is already implemented (well, it might be subject of future improvements).

I'm not sure what the standpoint is today regarding these combat events, but I usually (in other games) push "auto-resolve" if there's a button for it. Like to think more strategic/tactically, than change the course of events by "this-ship-attacks-this-ship"-moments. Just my 2 cents.
/Broms
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |