Are the FO binaries up to date?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Dreamer
Dyson Forest

Are the FO binaries up to date?

#1 Post by Dreamer »

Just wondering, I tried the FO binaries for 0.2 some time ago and they are not very current. I know that 0.3 is not ready yet by far, but also that some pretty relevant changes has been made to map creation and other stuff. Can an actualiced distribution be made. So we don't comment in thing already done :wink:

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by Dreamer »

Ok, can I have at least a couple of actual screenshots of the game? A binary release would be nice indeed for all of us who don't have the time / don't want or don't know how to build all FO libraries and dependencies and want to take a look newer than 0.2.

Ah, and just so anyone answer this...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASE :cry:

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

There are already screenshots linked from the front page:
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Screenshots

Making a distributed version of FreeOrion for Windows takes time, and currently the main windows developer is without internet access. We plan for more frequent releases after 0.3 (incremental releases), but having binary windows versions of each will depend on the time and kindness of others.

I personally use Linux so can't provide those windows binaries.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Dreamer »

But are they current???

I saw this on the official screenshots:

And this somewhere in the forums:

The later seems more advanced, unless is a fake, but there is no way for me to tell. I know I'm asking something not trivial, but one binary release a year is reasonable isn't it?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Tyreth »

Dreamer wrote:But are they current???

I saw this on the official screenshots:

And this somewhere in the forums:

The later seems more advanced, unless is a fake, but there is no way for me to tell. I know I'm asking something not trivial, but one binary release a year is reasonable isn't it?
The images are current. The other one you showed is just a mockup. The only differences are that the build queue has been removed, and in the tech screen you see icons for most of the techs.

One binary release a year is less than what I would hope, but so far has not been possible. More regular releases once 0.3 is out is definitely a goal, but it also depends on contributions. Releasing tar.gz source releases is possible, and that will hopefully inspire others to make binary builds of it too.

If you are able to help out with any of this, that would be great.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Dreamer »

Ok, thanks. :D