Library for prooved pictures and artwork??

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Xardas
Space Kraken

Library for prooved pictures and artwork??

#1 Post by Xardas »

Because I became aware of this project lately, I just read some really old post from July of 2003 an older.
A lot of decisions were made there and a lot of stuff were produced.
Unfortunately a lot of the links to artwork, pictures or other relevant things are meanwhile broken.
Even the discussing is still going about this topic, it is very bad if the original postings have dead links.
Though, a lot of people upolad there artworks only in a specific period of time.
I would suggested: Why dont use a central server library for artworks or other things that are important.
After discussion the picture should uploaded to freeorion.org and the link should be renewed. Therefore we would not have important broken links.
And it is usefull for an overview to have them already all togehter.

just my 2 cents :P

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

The main reason is lack of resources and time. We don't have a server that we can easily set up an automatic upload of images by members, and to manually place all images on freeorion.sourceforge.net would take too much time for the admin.

Not to mention that freeorion.org has very limitted space.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#3 Post by iamrobk »

I know that for me uploading images isn't a problem.......

Xardas
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Xardas »

Ok, I understand.
May it is a bit offtopic, but how many space you have available and how many traffic is currently and what is the maximum of it?
I am just interested in that.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#5 Post by iamrobk »

Well the thing is I can't let everyone use it because it's my Comcast account and if I let you all in you'd have access to my e-mail and everything and.....yeah. But for the record, I think I have like 30 MB's total, with (ASAIK) unlimited bandwith.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

Don't we have an art collaboration site for the art assets that Burndaddy set up originally? I seem to recall visiting it a while ago.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

Yep, but it was intended for the members of the graphics team only for internal use. Not really suitable as far as I could see for open access. Might be worth looking into, but I don't think images can be viewed easily or linked to.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by Aquitaine »

I don't think we need to worry about this until we start needing more art assets (and the same goes for FX/music). Once we have an official requirement for some serious work, we should do everything we can to provide housing for it.

(not to say there isn't some amazing stuff in there, though!)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by Tyreth »

Agreed.