Ranks

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#31 Post by utilae »

But Grand Admiral has a nice ring to it. 8)

Marijn
Space Squid

#32 Post by Marijn »

I like 'space squid', but the army-rank stuff seems a bit bland to me. Gotta have more space-references in there!

By the way, a rank system really does lead to rampant posting, I'm obviously posting this just to get more posts to my name.

On a relatively quiet forum like this rampant posting need not be a bad thing though.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#33 Post by Aquitaine »

I confess that my personal preference is to do away with ranks entirely and reserve titles for FO contributors.

Simply because we will hit a point where we get huge and the signal/noise ratio on these boards will be really atrocious.

that said, I can't say as I care much, it's just more deleting to do. :P
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Yoghurt
Programmer

#34 Post by Yoghurt »

More than 5000 post should get the Title "Alan Ralsky" or just "Spammer" ;)

*scnr*

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#35 Post by That Guy »

I agree with Aquitaine on this one, because as long as our post count it right there, it is more of a reminder. It also makes the people who actually do work stand out less, which isn't a good idea, because those people will tend to have more authority over the other posters.

Well, on another note, and I don't want to sound greedy either. But what is the req for getting a graphics team title thing? I know I haven't handed any real work in....

Anyways, it is just a question.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Xardas
Space Kraken

#36 Post by Xardas »

That Guy wrote:I agree with Aquitaine on this one, because as long as our post count it right there, it is more of a reminder. It also makes the people who actually do work stand out less, which isn't a good idea, because those people will tend to have more authority over the other posters.

Well, on another note, and I don't want to sound greedy either. But what is the req for getting a graphics team title thing? I know I haven't handed any real work in....

Anyways, it is just a question.
It is rather bad idea to advice that posting related titles should not be here and one the other hand you asked for a special title :lol: (be sure you want to know the req, because you want the title)

The authority thing is quiet not a good argument against title.
Postingtitle dont symbolize authoritiy, but only the numbers of post you have posted. It is just a gimmick.
Therefore I dont care if we have them or not, but it is typically for forums

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#37 Post by That Guy »

I don't understand the logic behind that being a bad idea suggesting that, because I just wanted to know. I also noticed that other then miu, no one else that has been posting artwork has one either, it just made me curious.

But I am against the posting related titles because, well, it does make the workers blend in alot more, and does promote spamming, and if and when the board does get big, that will be a problem, and if you yank them then, it might cause a roit amoungst the new people.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#38 Post by Aquitaine »

Titles for team members are up to the team lead.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#39 Post by That Guy »

Oh, thanks Aquintaine. I wonder what happened to miu, I haven't seen him post in the longest time...

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#40 Post by Tyreth »

Miu's been recovering from illness. I've told him to take it easy for now while we wait for 0.1 to be released. He'll be back around sometime soon :)

As for ranks, I think they're a fun gimmicky thing. If people start to post for the sake of posting, then we'll take 'em down.

Edit: Special titles will continue to be given for team members.
Last edited by Tyreth on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#41 Post by That Guy »

Oh, that makes sense.

How come no one has made a digital get well card to e-mail to him? We could all use paint and sign it too.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#42 Post by Yoghurt »

I see the ranks have changed again, now its "Space whatever"

What do I have to do to become a "Space Bar" or "Space Time"? ;)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#43 Post by utilae »

Thats true, now mine is Eternal Dragon.

Xardas
Space Kraken

#44 Post by Xardas »

Some arbitrary stuff from our leader :lol:
It would be nice when Tyreth can post the ranks how he have decided yet.
I dont like Space Wyrm at all 8)

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#45 Post by Ablaze »

Is one of them "stellar barnacle"?
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.