Forum Reorganization

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Forum Reorganization

#16 Post by eleazar »

em3 wrote:I noticed that now the release announcement is always displayed as an unread, even after I've read it a couple of times... Can this behaviour be removed without dropping the "Announcement" status of that thread? I mostly access this forum through "View unread posts" and the announcement is always there...
It's not like that for me. Anybody else?
I don't think there is a setting to activate that behavior.

Have you "marked all as read" in the announcements sub forum? Maybe a browser cache issue?

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#17 Post by qsswin »

eleazar wrote:
em3 wrote:I noticed that now the release announcement is always displayed as an unread, even after I've read it a couple of times... Can this behaviour be removed without dropping the "Announcement" status of that thread? I mostly access this forum through "View unread posts" and the announcement is always there...
It's not like that for me. Anybody else?
I don't think there is a setting to activate that behavior.

Have you "marked all as read" in the announcements sub forum? Maybe a browser cache issue?
I haven'r experienced it at all; however, it's unlikely that is has to do with the browser cache since I use several computers and the unread post memory persists.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#18 Post by em3 »

This happened on multiple OS-es (Windows 7 and Fedora, both using Firefox, the latter installed after forum reorganization).

"Mark topics read" helped, thanks. :)
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Sorry for taking so long to respond to the inquiries here, but as I already mentioned elsewhere, my life has become a bit complicated right now, and I've difficulties to keep up with everything.
eleazar wrote:The two remaining things i'd like to deal with are Vezzra's builds and SDK threads, and patch management.

For the SDK thread, if i understand you just want a thread stickied? Post something like "Mod please stickie this." and it will be done.
WRT test builds thread: I'd like to have a global announcement thread for all test builds in the Announcements subforum. I can't post to this forum, so you've either to create the thread and give me the required privileges to be able to create replies in this thread, or give me the privileges to create new threads in the Announcement forum, so I can do that myself.

WRT to the SDK thread: I think it would be best if a thread for the OSX SDK is created in the announcement section at the top of the Programming forum, exactly where the thread for the Windows SDK is located. I don't know how to do this, I suspect I lack the privileges for that too. So same thing as with the test builds thread: Either you create the thread for me or give me the required privileges and tell me how I can do that myself.

I'm perfectly fine with either solution. :D
For the patch stuff, i'm concerned about a disconnect between moderator and svn contributor membership. -- i.e. can the all the people that might commit patches take care of the patch's post? It seems reasonable to give them that access (which would be for the containing sub-forum), both are positions of trust, (though forums changes aren't as nicely revert-able).
That's why I initially suggested to create a subforum dedicated solely to the purpose of keeping track of pending patches. This way you can give those people with committer status moderator powers only for this forum. Of course a single thread in a proper subforum will do it, but as everyone who can commit will need moderator powers for this thread (so the whole setup can work as intended), this will result in those people having moderator powers for the entire subforum. Using a dedicated subforum might be a bit of overkill, but will circumvent that problem.
eleazar wrote:
Vezzra wrote:[*]Well, and of course implement the ideas discussed in the thread mentioned above. ;)[/list]
For clarify, can you list the desired changes and additions.
I think the additions I mentioned above (SDK and test builds threads) will cover it.
Bigjoe5 wrote:I dunno... that Dilvish guy seems pretty shifty. Have you seen the way he just opens up his head like that? :lol:
Well, our acknowledged project lead is a dead rat, so I wouldn't be too concerned about guys that open up their heads. At least he's trying to pour in some intelligence, even if it's only artificial... ;)

eleazar

#20 Post by eleazar »

Vezzra wrote:Sorry for taking so long to respond to the inquiries here, but as I already mentioned elsewhere, my life has become a bit complicated right now, and I've difficulties to keep up with everything.
No worries-- it happens to everyone who is around for the long haul.
Vezzra wrote:WRT to the SDK thread: I think it would be best if a thread for the OSX SDK is created in the announcement section at the top of the Programming forum, exactly where the thread for the Windows SDK is located. I don't know how to do this, I suspect I lack the privileges for that too. So same thing as with the test builds thread: Either you create the thread for me or give me the required privileges and tell me how I can do that myself.
The simplest is: you create the thread, and i can edit it's properties to join the windows one. Or does the thread already exist?
With proper permissions any topic can be switched from regular, sticky, & announcement at any time.

Re: rest of your post:
I'm not yet well versed on permissions stuff-- looking into it.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

eleazar wrote:
Vezzra wrote:WRT to the SDK thread: I think it would be best if a thread for the OSX SDK is created in the announcement section at the top of the Programming forum, exactly where the thread for the Windows SDK is located. I don't know how to do this, I suspect I lack the privileges for that too. So same thing as with the test builds thread: Either you create the thread for me or give me the required privileges and tell me how I can do that myself.
The simplest is: you create the thread, and i can edit it's properties to join the windows one. Or does the thread already exist?
Ok, I've just created a new thread for the OSX SDK in the Programming forum. Please change it's status so that it appears in the announcement section at the top of the forum, right where the thread for the Windows SDK is located.

eleazar

#22 Post by eleazar »

Done.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

Thanks! :D

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#24 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I would recommend putting a note in the Playtesting Feedback section description that bug reports should go in the Support section. The description for the Support section itself mentions that it is where bugs should be reported, but without reading the description of every single forum, Playtesting Feedback seems like a reasonable place to post bugs.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by LienRag »

Has there been another forum reorganization recently ?
I believe that I once saw an "Inspiration" category (not sure of its exact name) where we could discuss nice things about Space science or whatever, but I can't find it...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#26 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:24 pmHas there been another forum reorganization recently ?
Not that I'm aware of...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#27 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:24 pmI believe that I once saw an "Inspiration" category (not sure of its exact name) where we could discuss nice things about Space science or whatever, but I can't find it...
The place for such discussions would be the Off-Topic subforum.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#28 Post by LienRag »

Oh, right.
But "off-topic" means off-topic; inspiration is not "in-topic" of any of the forum categories, but I'd argue that it isn't entirely off-topic for a Space Opera game either.
And perusing the off-topic subforum, it's full of discussions that are actually off-topic.

So, any chance to have a subforum for inspiration and cool science/space stuff ?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#29 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:00 pmBut "off-topic" means off-topic; inspiration is not "in-topic" of any of the forum categories, but I'd argue that it isn't entirely off-topic for a Space Opera game either.
And perusing the off-topic subforum, it's full of discussions that are actually off-topic.

So, any chance to have a subforum for inspiration and cool science/space stuff ?
Well, we thought that one "Off-Topic" subforum would be sufficient to cover both cases you describe here. Yes, there is a bit of a difference of course, but it wasn't considered enough to warrant a separate subforum. At least, as far as I understand. I wasn't actually already around when these things had been decided... ;)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by LienRag »

And couldn't you add a sub-forum to the off-topic one, at least ?