Reclaiming the freeorion Github account.

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
adrian_broher
Programmer

Reclaiming the freeorion Github account.

#1 Post by adrian_broher »

Hello,

a not so long time ago we had a working Github repository mirror of the freeorion repository but that changed when sourceforge changed the URL to the repository. On the spur of the moment I decided to get in contact with the github support to claim the repository and the associated group account. I explained the current problem, that we don't know who set it up the account and if it is possible to reclaim the account/add me to the organization.

The reply was:
Github Support wrote: Hi Adrian,

There's only one owner of the freeorion organization account. You should contact Daniel about transferring ownership of the organization or adding your personal account to a team in the freeorion organization.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Aden
So is anybody aware of a current or former contributor called Daniel? I already asked Geoff via IRC but he doesn't know anybody called that:
<GeofftheMedio> maybe... is there one in particular?
<adrian_broher> I queried the github helpdesk about the freeorion organizational account.
<adrian_broher> Hi Adrian,
<adrian_broher> There's only one owner of the freeorion organization account. You should contact Daniel about transferring ownership of the organization or adding your personal account to a team in the freeorion organization.
<adrian_broher> I hope that helps.
<adrian_broher> I would intrepret it in a way that 'Daniel' is one of the fo-devs
<GeofftheMedio> I don't know who that is
<GeofftheMedio> I don't think it was set up by anyone significantly associated with development
<GeofftheMedio> you'd probably have to ask github help for contact info... or maybe they can declare the account abandoned if there's no response?
If nobody has an idea who that could be or if I can't get in contact with this Daniel within a week I will ask the GitHub support again for claiming the organization account ownership.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Reclaiming the freeorion Github account.

#2 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:The reply was:
Congrats for at least getting a response from them; I had tried contacting them a while back with a similar message via their 'contact a human' support or whatever it was, but got no response. Your plan sounds like the right one.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Hello there,

a short update on the state of things:

After a week of research I wasn't able to find the mentioned Daniel so I contacted the Github support again.
Hello Aden,

I'm assuming you mean with Daniel the current owner of the organization
account (see quote at bottom). I tried to find out if anyone from the
team knows him [1] but it doesn't seem to be the case. I also tried to
find this Daniel in our board member and credits file but to no avail.
Therefor I would like to claim the organization account 'freeorion' in
the name of the freeorion team as user 'adrianbroher'. To confirm that
I am a member of the development team please refer to the authors of the
latest commit history [2]. If you need any other kind of confirmation
please let me know.

Regards
Marcel
And I got this response after a day:
Hi Marcel,

For security reasons, we can't change ownership of an account on your behalf. I've looked over the "freeorion" account and it's not dormant (not all activity on GitHub is publicly visible), so I can't release the username to you. However, there is another option!

If you'd like to send a polite message to the user, asking them to rename their account so you could have the username, we would send it on your behalf. The two outcomes of this will either be that they respond positively (in which case we will help them and you change username), or they will respond negatively/not respond. We won't contact the user on your behalf again.

If this sounds good, reply with the statement you'd like to send to the user. Remember, this is something they'd be doing voluntarily, so being friendly will probably help! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Haleigh
I can write a draft for that, but I would prefer to rely on someone with native english knowledge to avoid stepping on someones toes unintentionally.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Why don't you write up a draft and post it here, so one or more native English speakers can have a look over it and comment if anything seems odd?

Greendogo
Space Krill

#5 Post by Greendogo »

Was there ever any progress on this?

pheonixstorm
Space Squid

#6 Post by pheonixstorm »

Checked the fo github page and just has last public commit 4 months ago and 0 public members.

And with no further response in this thread, probably not. Shame though.

Also did a search on the forums for github related content and did not see anything about who set it up or even when.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks like the github mirror has been updated to use the new SVN repository:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/commits/

wheals
Space Squid

#8 Post by wheals »

Given that Tyreth just made a an edit on the wiki, it was probably him.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tyreth's wiki editing was related to a website software update at my request. The github changes predate my requesting he do so.

myk
Space Krill

#10 Post by myk »

is the github location open for pull requests?