Why not Kickstart FreeOrion?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
XB-7
Space Krill

Why not Kickstart FreeOrion?

#1 Post by XB-7 »

I'm really impressed by the UI improvements to FreeOrion. Amazing!

Now that the project is in v0.4, the AI for the tactical battle grid is in order, along with more 3d models, sound bytes etc. Why not start a Kickstarter project? I realize that Geoff and the rest of the team have other work going on. I also realize the game is free. It still would be great to see a Kickstart considering the amount of work schedule in the v0.4 Roadmap.

I remember a year or so ago, I ran into a video showcasing the 3D combat test in FreeOrion. Along with the UI improvements, there's plenty of content to headline on mainstream through Kickstarter.

BTW, I tried using the --test-3d-combat. This is only for the MultiPlayer mode, correct? I admit I haven't tried MultiPlayer yet. Are people using it?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Why not Kickstart FreeOrion?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

XB-7 wrote:Why not start a Kickstarter project?
For the reasons given in previous threads that suggested the same thing.

viewtopic.php?p=46812#p46812

pheonixstorm
Space Squid

Re: Why not Kickstart FreeOrion?

#3 Post by pheonixstorm »

The issues for not doing kickstarter are well enough, though I do think this project could use a little extra funding. If not for help with code then for eventual 3D art which is harder to find for open source projects.

Even though no one here really sees a need for I wouldn't completely rule it out. Let it stand as maybe in the future if/when we need it.

Beyond kickstarter though you could try one or two small ads from adsense. I took a vote over at the vega strike forums to see how popular the idea would be and all the active members supported it. Now we have two ads that show up on the forum threads between the first and last post (provided the thread has enough posts). Income generation isn't high (not enough traffic) but it will cover a few months of hosting every so often.

My 2 cents anyway.