Massive Mods/Options--Multi-Copies of FO on One Computer

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Zeno
Space Floater

Massive Mods/Options--Multi-Copies of FO on One Computer

#1 Post by Zeno »

To solve the problem of mods' compatibility with each other, let's just allow multiple copies of FO to be installed on one computer. The player would simply switch copies currently being played to be able to play different mods. Each copy would have its own savegame folder. As long as the player didn't muck around with moving savegames from one folder to another, there would be absolute assurance of mods-compatibility! I've wanted to try new mods on Moo3, but I have so many favorite savegames that I don't want to lose them to try out a new mod, or save the savegame folder and reinstall the game to get them back. It would also be nice to have lots of options with each mod. Above all else, let's remember game support--Space Empires IV is an outstanding model there. There is a very good Star Trek mod there. Moo3 is a miserable failure there. Let's use the best elements of Space Emires IV, Moo3, and Moo2!!

muxec
Space Kraken

#2 Post by muxec »

How much would 25 instals per 125 MB take? Are you ready for that? (Hope that FO will be no less than that and packed with good graphics)

noelte
Juggernaut

#3 Post by noelte »

@zeno: What's your point? You can already have as much copies as you like. The only issue i can see by using different mod is, that we have to asure, that everybody in a multiplayer game uses the same mod.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

This should be easy enough to do by having each mod have its own folder and savegame folder within that. It wouldn't need a separate install at all.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by Aquitaine »

The Paradox games (EU2/HoI) do this - they call it Moddir, where you basically pass an arg to the executable that says 'use this as your base directory for the game.'
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

noelte
Juggernaut

#6 Post by noelte »

Aquitaine wrote:The Paradox games (EU2/HoI) do this - they call it Moddir, where you basically pass an arg to the executable that says 'use this as your base directory for the game.'
Yes, if i remember correctly fo can already do the same. But as you already pointed out yourself, modding isn't only about changing pic/configs ..., but also about changing the source code itself. 8)
Can COWs fly?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

I think a fair few modern games do this directory based mod method.

Zeno
Space Floater

#8 Post by Zeno »

There is another reason--not to lose old savegames when updating FO to a new version not compatible with the older one. I might want to be able to play Version 0.3, and see my old savegames there, even when much more advanced versions of FO are out. I would probably not want more than a half-dozen copies, which would easily fit onto my 40-gig hard drive.

noelte
Juggernaut

#9 Post by noelte »

in general saved games of an older version won't work with a newer release.
Can COWs fly?

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Actually size isnt a big concern isnt it? An huge game needs 1-4 GB, modern HDDs usually size ard 60-120 GB. And to be honest, even as I like different mods, I seldom have more then 3-5 going on. So worst case 5 mods a 4 GB -> 20 GB. If someone REALLY uses 5 different mods (heavily modified at sourcecode level, not just new graphix), then he should be able to waste 20 GB of HDD space. Why not? Only prob would be the registry, and I assume our crafty programmers can get around such problems in advance.

So I'd say enable both, Moddir and multiple installations.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Impaler »

If your talking about changes in the games easily modified Game content files like the SMAC alpha.txt then thats one isshue. If its actual versions post 1.0 then I would assume save games would probably not be compatable.

I would like to see something like what Aquitaine is sugjesting, the games Content file and all saved games for thouse content files are keep in seperate folders within a "Mod" folder and the player can select from a menu of these on the first interface screen they get after executing the game. The desired content files then load and you proceed to the next layer of the shell interface. The player will be able to load only saved games from within the folder they selected and only save games into that folder as well. This will keep all games assosiated with their content (unless you go fidling around with them manualy ofcorse). The player could back out and return to the Mod loading page so that they need not exit the whole game to change to a differnt set of Mod content.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

registry games

#12 Post by guiguibaah »

I really hate games that plug themselves into the windows registry instead of defaulting to an .ini file in their installed directory.

Whenever I need to reinstall windows, or flush the registry, I need to re-install all these games the plug themselves into it. Most just have simple things in the registry like "Gamedir is c:\games\fo" and that's it, but if it's not there, you can't run it, and sometimes they have some very obscure names, such as "NAMDIR QQuest game CC"

It also makes it easier to install. If you have a friend who has the game, you just copy off her harddrive.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.