Version 4.4?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Version 4.4?

#1 Post by MatGB »

I started really following the project in the runup to the 4.3, that was a fair while ago. Since then, a huge amount has been done to the game, both player-facing and backend, so much so that savegames from 4.3 are completely incompatible and the support board is thus slightly harder to work with, etc.

Given how much better the game is now, both in terms of visuals, game balance and backend code, is there a plan for releasing 4.4 so that the more casual players wanting the most recent stable, etc and new players get our current work?

Basically, I don't know how this works or what the release plan is, and older threads searched through add to my confusion ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Version 4.4?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Maybe once things settle down a bit, but in the short term, several big changes just went in and are in need of some tweaking.

Based on the recent trend of ~400 commits per release, it's a bit overdue.

Also, it would be v0.4.4, not v4.4

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Maybe once things settle down a bit, but in the short term, several big changes just went in and are in need of some tweaking.
Fair enough, it's definitely not ready right now with the untested new stuff and the bugs we're finding in visibilty &c, but...
Based on the recent trend of ~400 commits per release, it's a bit overdue.
Is what I was thinking, even just listing the user facing obvious changes you've got a big changelog, adding in the backend stuff you're still completing it's impressive.
Also, it would be v0.4.4, not v4.4
D'oh! Yes, yes it would.

I figured it was worth asking if it's worth looking to when it can be thought about, as some of the ongoing improvements are going to take awhile to bed in &c.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Also please keep in mind that scripted universe generation is currently in an unfinished state. Although it's not strictly necessary to complete that feature for the 0.4.4 release, that would be still preferable. I'll try to concentrate my efforts more on getting that done.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What about v0.4.5?

There are various ongoing changes to Python scripts. Are things likely soon to settle down enough to start preparing a release?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What about v0.4.5?
I've already been wondering the same... :)
There are various ongoing changes to Python scripts.
On the server side of Python things the only current long-term project is scripted turn events, which is pretty much in a very early experimental stage, nothing I expect to finish prior to 0.4.5. Our AI team has several projects going though.
Are things likely soon to settle down enough to start preparing a release?
As far as I am concerned, and the things I'm working on, we could go ahead preparing the next release. I guess the AI team will want to finish up a few things, but we need to hear Dilvish on that.

I think Mat too has some things he's currently working on, that he might want to get in/finish up first - Mat?

Anyone anything else that needs to be taken care of to prepare for 0.4.5?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:What about v0.4.5?
I've already been wondering the same... :)
Same here.
As far as I am concerned, and the things I'm working on, we could go ahead preparing the next release. I guess the AI team will want to finish up a few things, but we need to hear Dilvish on that.
I had previously hoped to get more done on diplomacy for 0.4.5, but there's been so many other big changes I'm content with where it's at. It seems to me that the AI is at a fine stage now for 0.4.5, anything that's not currently ready now I wouldn't want to have 0.4.5 wait for, unless Cj or Morlic have something small that's very close to completion. Cj does have some interface inspection code that is probably about ready, but it's focused on assisting AI development & doesn't really need to get into 0.4.5, it seems to me. Cj, Morlic, do you guys have anything going on you'd want to try to squeeze in for 0.4.5?

** edit: I guess the one thing that comes to mind that would be good to get settled a little bit more is this issue about python2 vs python3-- it could be we should make just a little more changes in the python invocation for Linux, but this shouldn't take long to sort out, I think.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:python2 vs python3-- it could be we should make just a little more changes in the python invocation for Linux, but this shouldn't take long to sort out, I think.
The larger issue is, as noted in the other threads, Python2 isn't substantially being updated anymore, and everything should probably be moved to Python3 in the next year or two. That's not really relevant to an upcoming release, though...

Morlic
AI Contributor

#9 Post by Morlic »

I don't have any new features that will be finished soon but merely some more tweaks to the ship design process.

Nothing worth delaying the new version for I guess.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#10 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dilvish wrote:python2 vs python3-- it could be we should make just a little more changes in the python invocation for Linux, but this shouldn't take long to sort out, I think.
The larger issue is, as noted in the other threads, Python2 isn't substantially being updated anymore, and everything should probably be moved to Python3 in the next year or two. That's not really relevant to an upcoming release, though...
Yes, and Yes. I was talking about the much smaller issue of a change to the python invocation for Linux to be sure we are invoking python2 not python3, since for some linux systems it appears that plain 'python' now means python3 and not python2, and that will likely only become more common during the lifetime of 0.4.5. That would be a fairly small change in a couple places I noted in a different thread. I would also like Marcel to have a chance to think through if there are any cmake changes we'd want to help deal with that kind of environment. That shouldn't be anything that actually needs to hold up 0.4.5, just something to happen in the near future as part of its preparation.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote: I think Mat too has some things he's currently working on, that he might want to get in/finish up first - Mat?
I'd want to do some basic tweaks to stealth for balance purposes, specifically Laenfa being a bit too good with the current setup, but it'd only need to be minor changes if that's all we've time for.
Anyone anything else that needs to be taken care of to prepare for 0.4.5?
Nothing that I'm aware of other than very minor balancing tweaks, sooner rather than later for 0.4.5 would suit me.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, as there haven't been raised any major things, it looks like we can begin preps for 0.4.5.

That means we should put introducing new things on hold, concentrate on finishing up/polishing/fixing stuff (there have already been mentioned a few things), and also start to concentrate more on playtesting to uncover bugs/issues etc.

Anyone any objections? You know, the usual "he shall speak now or forever hold his peace" stuff... ;)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Yup, I'll try to get the basic stealth changes (which Geoff did some backend changes for so they need finishing) and sort the asteroid line out ASAP.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »