Requesting Contact Info

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Impaler
Creative Contributor

Requesting Contact Info

#1 Post by Impaler »

As many of you already know I when on a spree and added all the ICQ and AIM info I could find on the Members list to my Friends lists. But I noticed that VERY few people have any kind of contact info, not even an E-Mail.

With the knowlage that our webhosts tend to be spotty (this should hopefully be corrected now but we can never be shure) I think it would be prudent if we had alternatives to the Forum for comunicating. So I would ask that everyone who is heavily involved in the project add atleast one means of contact (E-mail, AIM, ICQ) to their profile and post that you have done so here.

When the site when down we undoutably lost quite a number of our newer members who assumed we were gone for good. With good contact info we could inform people that the site is back up. So I propose we send out a massmailing to all the E-mail adresses on the Members list to point out that the site is back up and the project is rolling along.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

remember, we have an IRC chat too. mui, pd and myself are usually present. Everbody is invited to join us. :wink:
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

tyreth is also usually there :)

i wonder why the irc activity is so low, while the boards are pretty active.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by LithiumMongoose »

I poke my tail into the IRC room from time to time as well, and would maintain a permanent desktop outpost there if it were actually used much. :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd: I had no idea there was an IRC channel, from which I infer that most people don't know about it.

Also, IRC requires an IRC client, as far as I know, which is not ubiquitous like the web browser...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

i see... there was a thread somewhere about it some months ago, maybe some mod should make it sticky or put it on the frontpage in <h1> tags ;)

anyway, for everyone interested: we are on irc.freenode.org in #freeorion
Also, IRC requires an IRC client, as far as I know, which is not ubiquitous like the web browser...
for me it is ;)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

There are three locations you can usually find out more information in case of the main website being down:

* http://www.freeorion.de - a German fan page (use babel.altavista.com if you can't read German, like myself)
* Announcements mailing list (the best source) - http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/list ... n-announce
* Irc channel on irc.freenode.net #freeorion

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Impaler »

This is News to me as well!!

Geoff I just logged on and found it infact dose exist!!

Expect me to become a regular their from now on
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#9 Post by Moriarty »

Couldn't you use the sourceforge mailing lists to send out informative news, and warn peeps when the servers have gone down?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by Tyreth »

Read my post just a little way up this thread - we do use sourceforge mailing lists.