GitHub migration procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: GitHub migration procedure

#16 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:How do I claim commits on this new repository? It just lists "Geoff" as the author, and I can't see any email address to add to my git account to claim them as I think I did for the mirror repository, and hovering on the ? icon says the email address is invalid.
To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled myself as to what's going on here with the claiming of commits. Here is a link to the import page of the github repo:

https://import.github.com/freeorion/freeorion/import

Judging by how the link looks like, you should be able to access this page, but I couldn't test that of course.

Anyway, assuming you can access that page, in the bottom section there is a button "Show authors", which expands a list of all committers the import process detected, where you can associate a github account to each committer. As you can see, I already filled in the ones I know, that's all I did, and for my account that apparently has been sufficient. But, from what I can see, only for my account, which is strange.

On a first glance, there are two things you can try:
  • Your entry in the authors list contains this constructed email address, try adding it to your account. It might also be necessary to delete the account name in the authors list.
  • Or substitute the account name "geoffthemedio" with the email address you specified in your account settings.
Or maybe that association needs to be entered by the respective account holders themselfes? That is, you've to be logged in as "geoffthemedio" if you want to associate the author the import process found with your account, and I can't do that for you? In that case you might have to delete the entry I made, and then reenter yourself. This would explain why it worked for my account...

Besides that, we've probably ask the github support stuff what's wrong here.
Also, is there a reason that freeorion/freeorion has 7685 commits when the SVN revision was 8050 before the import? I thought redoing the importing was supposed to preserve all the branch history as well, which the svn-mirror repository was missing?
I wondered about that too, but the branches (which are missing in the mirror repo) are all there. The "freeorion" repo lists 8 branches, the "fo-svn-mirror" repo only 1 branch. So far it looks like as if that worked as expected.

I can only guess that there are probably things which are handled as commits in subversion repos, but are handled differently (not as commits) in git (e.g. tags?). But you'll probably need to do a commit by commit comparison to find out where the differences are, and I'm not sure if someone wants to go through that chore...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:May be we will need this.
https://help.github.com/articles/changing-author-info/
That looks a bit drastic. I suggest trying less invasive solutions first, before resorting to something like this.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:...there is a button "Show authors", which expands a list of all committers the import process detected, where you can associate a github account to each committer.
The commits in the repository are not connected to the email address in that list. It shows the commits as by "Geoff", but this doesn't seem to have any connection to the geoffthemedio github account. Same issue affects the commits by "dilvish-fo".
Your entry in the authors list contains this constructed email address, try adding it to your account. It might also be necessary to delete the account name in the authors list.
My github account already has the email from that list associated with it. I added it to claim the commits in the svn mirror repository.

The problem seems to be that the "Geoff" commits do have an email or have an invalid email associated with them. If the latter, I don't know how to see what it is.
Besides that, we've probably ask the github support stuff what's wrong here.
Perhaps...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Just found out a difference between my account settings and those of Mats, Geoffs and Dilvish': Apparently all of you either haven't specified an email address in your personal accounts at all, or set them to "private". Because, after I cloned to freeorion repo to my local computer and examined the commit log, all your email addresses show up like this: <name>@users.noreply.github.com

AFAIK the email address of an committer is what is used as reference to the associated personal github account, so that might be the source of the problem. I have specified a public email address in my personal account, and this email shows up in the commits associated with my account.

Begs the question what the authors list on the importer page is for, but maybe this method of associating requires a public email address set in the account you want to associate.

Try setting a public email address in your personal accounts. It might be necessary to do the assignment of the author to your account again on the importer page though, don't know if that gets updated automatically...

EDIT: Oh, another thing: I also set the email address in my account as "primary", maybe that has some significance too?

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Setting an account email as public had no effect. The commits are still associated with the noreply email, which apparently doesn't link to the github account, despite being obviously connected to it.

The noreply email doesn't appear in the authors list, so I can't associate it with anything.

Edit: I made two commits to the freeorion/freeorion repository, one with my email set to private and one with it public. Both show the same email address in the log, which is the primary account email, and are linked to my github account.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The commits in the repository are not connected to the email address in that list. It shows the commits as by "Geoff", but this doesn't seem to have any connection to the geoffthemedio github account. Same issue affects the commits by "dilvish-fo".
And those of practically everyone else - besides me. But what you point out applies to my account as well, however, the commits by "Vezzra" contain with the primary public email address I specified in my personal account. Yours and Dilvish' commits only show the "replacement" address for emails that have been set to private.
The problem seems to be that the "Geoff" commits do have an email or have an invalid email associated with them. If the latter, I don't know how to see what it is.
The author for your commits in the github repo is shown as: "Geoff <[email protected]>". Obviously that data has been pulled from your account. However, this doesn't associate your account with the commits... the longer I look at this, the more I get the impression that this is indeed the problem here. When I entered you account name in the authors list, your name and email address had been pulled from your account setting. Because there was no public/primary email address, the "replacement" email got substituted, but this address apparently isn't sufficient to establish the link to your account.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Yep, that did it. I just deleted the association with your account and reentered it, and now your commits seem to be associated with your account.

For some strange reason the importer page now shows an import error, which hasn't been there before, but I guess that has to do with the fact that all your commits just got reassigned.

Geoff the Medio

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Because there was no public/primary email address, the "replacement" email got substituted, but this address apparently isn't sufficient to establish the link to your account.
Why wouldn't it be sufficient to link to the account? It's a unique email for that account.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit: I made two commits to the freeorion/freeorion repository, one with my email set to private and one with it public. Both show the same email address in the log, which is the primary account email, and are linked to my github account.
That apparently doesn't work with the associate-imported-repo-author-with-github-account feature of the github importer. You apparently need a public email address set in your personal account for that feature to work.

If that's a bug or a feature, probably only the github stuff can tell...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#25 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Why wouldn't it be sufficient to link to the account? It's a unique email for that account.
That question only the gods of github can answer ;)

Geoff the Medio

#26 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I just deleted the association with your account and reentered it, and now your commits seem to be associated with your account.
I'm confused... Other than a few moments when clicking the check, my email should have been private since the last commit. Maybe try adding the associations for the other commiters again as well?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#27 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, apparently you need to be very careful using the associate-authors-to-github-accounts feature provided by the github importer. Once you've entered an account there, subsequent changes seem to be quite invasive, so you have to make sure the accounts you want to associate with authors found by the importer have public email addresses set before you do the association.

If it's important enough for you guys to do that cleanly, we can simply scrap the first attempt at importing the repo and try again. There hasn't been done much work with the new repo that will be lost, and the whole process didn't take that long (~1 hour).

Shall I redo the import? I'd post the link to the importer page afterwards, and everyone can do the assignment of his SVN author to his github account himself (after having set a public email address in his personal account of course!).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#28 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'm confused... Other than a few moments when clicking the check, my email should have been private since the last commit.
I probably did the reassociation during the short time your email was set to public. Which would explain why, after I looked at the importer page a bit later, the entry for your author has been empty, but still associated with your account, and also no longer editable.
Maybe try adding the associations for the other commiters again as well?
Well, trying can't hurt, right? I'll give it a try after dinner :D

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#29 Post by MatGB »

I've verified my Github address and made sure it's public, beyond that I'll bow out until you've figured out what's going on ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#30 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Maybe try adding the associations for the other commiters again as well?
Well, trying can't hurt, right? I'll give it a try after dinner :D
Nope, I just tried reassociating Dilvish, and that didn't change anything.

However, the error on the importer page cleared, and the entry for author "geoffthemedio" is back to normal - editable, and the account name showing in the input field. Looking at your account, Geoff, it seems you made your email address public again? In that case the error on the importer page wasn't due to the reassociating, but because you set the email in your account back to private.

Meaning, no reimport necessary. Anyone who wants to claim his commits just needs to add a public email address to his personal account, go to the importer page (use the link I provided in one of my earlier posts), delete the assignment set in the authors list for you, and reassign your account. That should do the trick.