New project web pages?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
biza
Space Squid

New project web pages?

#1 Post by biza »

I did not want to take leizhaoyn topic
Dilvish wrote: A nicer project page sounds quite appealing.
I took the liberty to create a demo page made fast so you can see what i had in mind :)

Please, it is just as example, with no image work and no real thinking about menu items and content, just concept to see if you like it.

http://malilosinj.info/freeorion/index.php

It is made using:
joomla : GNU General Public License. - http://joomla.org
gantry framework: dual MIT & GPL license - http://gantry.org/
RokSprocket Module: GPLv2 or later - http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/roksprocket

Cheers!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: New project web pages?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

initial impression: Wow!
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Initial impression: takes ages to load, but maybe that's a server/not optimized page issue.

Otherwise I like it for a first draft, but of course there is some room for improvement. In general the widget design should be taken from the in game UI.
The one that is in the news for being bug infested? I don't know. I would prefer a static page or a static page generator.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Looks promising :D

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

adrian_broher wrote:Initial impression: takes ages to load, but maybe that's a server/not optimized page issue.
Doesn't for me, but I'm normally on a very fast connection. Are the images optimised fully in the mockup?
Otherwise I like it for a first draft, but of course there is some room for improvement. In general the widget design should be taken from the in game UI.
The one that is in the news for being bug infested? I don't know. I would prefer a static page or a static page generator.
Joomla's an open source project, of course it's full of bugs ;-) I've never used it, but I've heard good things.

But, with any CMS I'd always be most worried about maintenence after install, if the person/people that know it well become unavailable, how easy is it to update and/or how insecure is it/likely to be if not updated? Had some serious problems with unmaintained Wordpress installs in the past and I've no idea how good Joomla is at security.

It does look nice though, I personally dislike the current fashion for massive pictures and lots of scrolling but everyone seems to be doing it so that's just my taste, old curmudgeon that I am.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#6 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:But, with any CMS I'd always be most worried about maintenence after install, if the person/people that know it well become unavailable, how easy is it to update and/or how insecure is it/likely to be if not updated? Had some serious problems with unmaintained Wordpress installs in the past and I've no idea how good Joomla is at security.
That's an important point. Maintainability of the homepage in general should have a high priority.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

biza
Space Squid

#7 Post by biza »

Thank you for comments, it should load faster with optimised images and file caching enabled(first image only is almost 0,5 Mb), I can make static generated page that looks same way (almost identical or however you like it ;) ), depends on needs.

Any system have flaws and advantages, just some of them:

Static pages are somewhat faster to generate or lets say need less server resources, simpler and easier to maintain, no database and no php makes them harder to hack. But, any changes in content need manual code change, and if there is many pages it may be pain just to add new menu item...

Content Management System is all point and click, easy to add news or change content, but need to be updated regularly (joomla have auto update system for core and plugins), with caching pages get generated only once in a while and that saves some server resources. Of course CMS need database and php running on server (same as this forum and wiki).
I have joomla in few sites and did not experience any bugs or glitches yet. It has backend with user login and any member with permission can add content.

So basically all comes to what freeorion needs, if you plan to regularly change content, add news, write stories or similar go for CMS, if not then static pages are best.
MatGB wrote: But, with any CMS I'd always be most worried about maintenence after install, if the person/people that know it well become unavailable, how easy is it to update and/or how insecure is it/likely to be if not updated? Had some serious problems with unmaintained Wordpress installs in the past and I've no idea how good Joomla is at security.
My hosting company have cpanel with softaculous and that software creates backup and updates joomla automatically as new version is out and send email notification. I don't know if that is the case with freeorion hosting, as I said before joomla have built in updater, and as soon as you login in administration it is offering to update itself.

Cheers!