Remove wiki pages from protection list

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
adrian_broher
Programmer

Remove wiki pages from protection list

#1 Post by adrian_broher »

As far as I know the current setup of the wiki requires registered users to modify pages and those accounts are only handed out by Geoff. With that the number of potential vandals and spammers is practical zero.

So is there still a reason to have protected pages aside from 'it was configured this way when access permissions were set up different'?

When doing the most recent updates I stumbled over several pages that I was unable to change because of that.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Remove wiki pages from protection list

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There are a bunch of old bot-registered accounts that I'm wary of giving free access to edit the wiki. Probably a bunch of pages could be de-protected, but not the front page at least.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There are a bunch of old bot-registered accounts that I'm wary of giving free access to edit the wiki.
Can't you delete those permanently or don't you know which one is a 'good' account and which one is a spammer?

Edit: Nevermind, I see what is the problem after searching a bit about mediawiki and user deletion.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

raptor
Space Squid

#4 Post by raptor »

A solution that my project has implemented is to tie the wiki accounts to the forum accounts. We used this mediawiki extension to do it:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... ntegration

(It says it is unmaintained, yet it still works for phpBB 3.0.x)

Then you can keep out the bots with the forum techniques for doing so - like custom profile fields [these work really well], more advanced captcha, etc. - and allow any forums user to edit the wiki.