forum crash / post loss? False Alarm

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

forum crash / post loss? False Alarm

#1 Post by Dilvish »

I mentioned this in a post I just finished, but after looking around I am more convinced & so decided I should clearly mention it in a dedicated thread-- I think our forum just crashed and lost post history. It wouldn't respond for a while, and then the posts I was responding to appeared to be gone. Now I've checked the post history for Geoff and Cj and adrian_broher, and the posts I was responding to (about git) seem to be gone.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: forum crash / post loss?

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:I mentioned this in a post I just finished, but after looking around I am more convinced & so decided I should clearly mention it in a dedicated thread-- I think our forum just crashed and lost post history. It wouldn't respond for a while, and then the posts I was responding to appeared to be gone. Now I've checked the post history for Geoff and Cj and adrian_broher, and the posts I was responding to (about git) seem to be gone.
Could you point out such a post (not the missing one of course, but the response)?

Edit: Nevermind, found it viewtopic.php?p=79482#p79482

Did you maybe pick the wrong thread?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9595
Last edited by adrian_broher on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: forum crash / post loss?

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, the time window where posts apparently vanished fortunately seems quite small - only a few hours. Coud've been much worse. Still, a bit annoying. Looks like we've crash time currently - SF crashed, our forum crashed... ;)

Dilvish

Re: forum crash / post loss? False Alarm

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Ok well perhaps the forum was merely non-responsive for a couple of minutes but perhaps didn't actually lose any posts.
adrian_broher wrote:Did you maybe pick the wrong thread?
Gah, no, but apparently I did make a mistake-- earlier when I had checked to see what happened to the posts I was replying to, I had just quickly scanned the most recent part of your post history. Just now, I actually searched it for the phrase I had recalled, and found it, from a while back -- apparently the tab had been sitting in my browser and I came across it not noticing its age, thinking it was current and then replying :lol:

So part of my recent post (which you just linked) is probably a bit pointless, but perhaps you could still answer my question there regarding your step 7 in this post
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Not being able to connect to the forum doesn't necessarily mean it crashed... Possibly just your connection to the server was temporarily broken, or just the webhost's connection was down but the server itself was fine. Were you definitely able to access other websites at the same time?

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Not being able to connect to the forum doesn't necessarily mean it crashed... Possibly just your connection to the server was temporarily broken, or just the webhost's connection was down but the server itself was fine. Were you definitely able to access other websites at the same time?
Other sites worked fine. That, plus the combination of the very long delay with then not being able to find the posts I had been looking at, which made me think crash. But the missing posts part of that was just my error.