0.4.5 release procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: 0.4.5 release procedure

#16 Post by Dilvish »

Dilvish wrote:And I am about to change that intro message regarding the custom sitreps.
My proposal is in PR #258
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:That's already where the problem starts. Merges to the release branch should not happen at all, even if I assume you just used the wrong term other may not and just happily merge or don't even know how to cherry pick.
Oh, ok, let me rephrase a bit: Of course I meant cherry-picking, as merging into the release branch would royally mess up things I guess. And when I said that people should do the cherry picking themselves without prior request when it's obvious that something has to go into the release branch, I've of course been addressing primarily Geoff, Dilvish and yourself (Bigjoe too, but he isn't active ATM), who I assume to be no less capable than me to get that right. Mat and TheSilentOne are usually careful enough not to do things they don't feel sufficiently comfortable with, so I expect them to put in a request for cherry picking if desired/required. The rest doesn't have commit access and have to request anyway... or did I miss anyone?
At least I want to brush up the de translation.
Cjkjvfnby may want to update the russian one.

I would go for 2 weeks for now to update the german one, but honestly I don't know.
Oh (the second). Ok, I didn't expect that, I've been assuming that we might proceed with RC1 already this week or coming Monday, provided we got all issues addressed. When talking about a freeze phase for translation work I thought that you meant actively maintained translations, not ones where you have to start working on quite outdated versions.

That will probably delay the release significantly. I was hoping to be able to release before August 20th (see here why). We certainly don't have to go out of our way to meet that deadline, it would be nice if we got 0.4.5 into the next Ubuntu release, but it's not that important.

So, if the others are fine with the delay, I won't object.

Cj, do you intend to work on the Russian translation?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

2 weeks after all other changes (I think?) just for translation updates seems a bit much... If these translations are planned to be updated, why isn't that already happening and nearly done? The vast majority of strings won't be changed, and whatever final changes do happen in the release branch that affect stringtables shouldn't take more than a few days to update.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#19 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:If these translations are planned to be updated, …
It wasn't planned. The decision to update the german one was pretty spontaneous made by me. That's why I'm asking for some time and from other to refrain from english source text changes.
Geoff the Medio wrote:… why isn't that already happening and nearly done? The vast majority of strings won't be changed, and whatever final changes do happen in the release branch that affect stringtables shouldn't take more than a few days to update.
It is already happening, but it takes some time to update and translate the texts. The current state of the translation isn't as good as you may believe.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

Edit clearing tabs found this unposted as there was an extra post, so hitting submit anyway
Geoff the Medio wrote:2 weeks after all other changes (I think?) just for translation updates seems a bit much... If these translations are planned to be updated, why isn't that already happening and nearly done? The vast majority of strings won't be changed, and whatever final changes do happen in the release branch that affect stringtables shouldn't take more than a few days to update.
It wasn't my reading that the intent was two weeks after everything else, it's the next two weeks.

From my perspective, I consider the English stringtable not being clear enough to be a bug, so I specifically bughunt it as well as the actual mechanics within the RCs, I'm constantly updating the stringtable during the cycle but now is the time that I actually dedicate time to read through things looking for errors.

If, from this point on, we don't add anything new that would need translating, then that gives the translators time to check their own stringtables are up to date with all the changes I, and others, have made to English, as best as is possible.

The only stringtable that gets regular updates currently is French, last two Releases (ie, the ones I've been involved in), other translations have been put in late in the cycle.

We should be on a 'new features freeze' for the release branch, and just putting in essential stuff and bufixes, right? So unless there's something major that requires a translation key change, we're already freezing the keys (exception being potential to redo the premade ship designs which we're talking about elsewhere)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, if possible, I'd like to make next Mondays builds RC1. Things that need to be addressed:

1) @Marcel: What's the status of your translation work? Do you think you'll have this ready before Monday, or do you need more time?

2) @Mel: Your PR to improve the reset default window positions feature is more or less ready for merge, and there haven't been any objections to the suggestion of cherry picking into the release branch. All that's left are the few little things Dilvish pointed out, which you wanted to address in a cleanup of your branch. Any ETA on that? Do you think you'll get around to it this weekend, or do you need more time?

3) I think wheals needs to be added to the credits. And while we are at it, I'm not sure if he ever gave a general license statement, I only found ones related to specific contributions - wheals?

Anyone else we might have forgot to include into the credits?

4) Any other issues that needs to be addressed prior to RC1?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#22 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, if possible, I'd like to make next Mondays builds RC1.
You know, it had really not sunk in for me that we were pre- RC1. So, in this case, I plan to cherrypick the 3 commits for PR#271 (statistics on expressions, and Total Military Strength Estimate chart) into 0.4.5.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

wheals
Space Squid

#23 Post by wheals »

Vezzra wrote: 3) I think wheals needs to be added to the credits. And while we are at it, I'm not sure if he ever gave a general license statement, I only found ones related to specific contributions - wheals?
I think I was added to the credits already, a few years ago when I implemented the basic structure for galaxy seeds. I added a general license statement to my signature.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:So, in this case, I plan to cherrypick the 3 commits for PR#271 (statistics on expressions, and Total Military Strength Estimate chart) into 0.4.5.
Go ahead :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#25 Post by Vezzra »

wheals wrote:I think I was added to the credits already, a few years ago when I implemented the basic structure for galaxy seeds.
Under which nick/real name? It seems I can't find any entry with "wheals"...
I added a general license statement to my signature.
Perfect, thanks!

wheals
Space Squid

#26 Post by wheals »

Vezzra wrote:
wheals wrote:I think I was added to the credits already, a few years ago when I implemented the basic structure for galaxy seeds.
Under which nick/real name? It seems I can't find any entry with "wheals"...
Huh, I thought I had been added but I guess I was mistaken. If you could put me down as nick="wheals" and name="Shmuale Mark", that would work for me...
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#27 Post by Vezzra »

wheals wrote:If you could put me down as nick="wheals" and name="Shmuale Mark", that would work for me...
Done.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#28 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:4) Any other issues that needs to be addressed prior to RC1?
Yep, just remembered something I missed:

5) Make the changes suggested here to the release branch. Which one of those do we want to actually do?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#29 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Have the galaxy generation results changed at all recently, and regardless, is a week of playtesting / determining the quality of the default galaxy still needed?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by MatGB »

Just recompiled my release branch and ran quickstart, I get the exact same layout as last week when I tested, it's quite a good one for Elliptical, plenty of planets that you can colonise nearby including interesting /useful specials that might spawn a guard.

When I tested Spiral-2 last week it was also good, plenty of space to expand in but I got stuck behind a maintaenance ship for a bit which was sat on the only starlane out of the spiral point you start in, 4 planets you can colonise on your side but might be a bad start, given they're not a guaranteed spawn it's not necessarily a huge issue, perhaps worth someone else trying spiral-2?

But seed 0 elliptical is perfectly playable.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.