0.4.5 release procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 0.4.5 release procedure

#61 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:I expect to have RC1 in release name
You shouldn't. It's a candidate to be the release, meaning if it is the release, the file is renamed. If "RC#" was in the version string, there would need to be a new build with a different string for the actual release. That new build would need to be tested before being the actual release... meaning it would just be a release candidate... meaning it should have "RC" in the version string... etc.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#62 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:One thing I almost forgot: I think we should now delete the pre-release tags/entries on github - or can anyone think of a reason why we should keep them?
Um, if no one objects, I'm going to do that this week or the next...

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#63 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Cjkjvfnby wrote:I expect to have RC1 in release name
You shouldn't. It's a candidate to be the release, meaning if it is the release, the file is renamed. If "RC#" was in the version string, there would need to be a new build with a different string for the actual release. That new build would need to be tested before being the actual release... meaning it would just be a release candidate... meaning it should have "RC" in the version string... etc.
It is common practice to have RC in build name. I dont know how they deal with such recursion in names.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#64 Post by MatGB »

Cjkjvfnby wrote: It is common practice to have RC in build name. I dont know how they deal with such recursion in names.
Common, but not absolute, and it's not the way FO has ever done it (I asked similar last time and the explanations make sense to me.

Basically, if we don't find any bugs, the Release Candidate is the release, recompiling it just to change the titlebar seems a bit pointless to me, and Vezzra does more than enough work as it is.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#65 Post by Vezzra »

An issue has turned up that needed to be fixed, so there will be RC2. The only question is when. I can do it already tomorrow (in that case the deadline for submitting changes would be tomorrow 12am UTC), or I can make next Mondays builds RC2.

I'd prefer tomorrow, comments?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#66 Post by MatGB »

Tomorrow is good for me, the only other issues I have are minor stringtable quibbles that, frankly, don't matter massively, I'll see if I can work them up but if I don't it matters not at all.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#67 Post by Vezzra »

Update on the RC2 schedule

Mat, as the request for a cherry pick you put up on github refers to a commit with changes to the stringtable which I want to give Ouaz some time to provide the French translation, I decided to give us a bit more time to get in fixes and therefore will produce RC2 on Monday. I've also some small things I want to try to fix (e.g. the Planetary Starlane Drive has some quirks it seems, most notably a complete lack of sitreps, which make it very annoying to use).

So, coming Monday builds will be RC2. Everyone who wants to get in some fixes, please do so until Sunday, especially if those fixes contain changes to the English stringtable that should be translated (@Ouaz, can you update the French stringtable on Sunday evening?). Commits that don't touch the stringtable can also go in on Monday.

Deadline for commits that introduce changes to the English stringtable: Sunday Aug 30th, 4PM UTC (so Ouaz has enough time to do translation work)

Deadline for commits that don't change the English stringtable: Monday Aug 31st, 12AM UTC (to give me some time to cherry pick things, update the changelog, etc.)

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#68 Post by Ouaz »

Yep, no problem for Sunday 30th 4PM UTC (6PM CEST, so it's perfect).
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#69 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.5 RC2 is out and has been uploaded to sourceforge and github.

Geoff, I think we've a good chance that we got everything major this time, so it might be sufficient to give it just a couple of days until declaring the final release. Your call.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#70 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:Geoff, I think we've a good chance that we got everything major this time
Maybe I should do less guessing and more actual thinking... :oops:

Well, anyway, a small fix for the AI that should get cherry picked and a small mess-up on my part when adjusting the slot positions of the heavy asteroid hull to the new graphic caused me to contemplate another RC build, and I decided that I'm going to do one. As I won't have time tomorrow, still cherish the hope that these might be the last little nasties and don't want to loose time I'm going to produce RC3 today afternoon/evening.

This way it only means I've caused myself more work ;)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#71 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:...adjusting the slot positions of the heavy asteroid hull to the new graphic...
Please stop making changes like this in release candidate builds. They should be for bug fixing, not content / graphics additions and changes, specifically because of problems like this that could hold up the subsequent release.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#72 Post by MatGB »

Ah, I missed that.

Probably need to put a comment at the top of shiphulls.txt for this but in general, you can change the coordinates of slot locations as much as you like without it messing anything else up.

But if you change the order they're listed on the hull then it can mess up the AI, the premade ship designs and saved hulls, but doesn't always do so depending on how that slot is being used. Basically, don't change the order the slots are listed and you're good.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#73 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Please stop making changes like this in release candidate builds.
Yep, sorry. I know, after all those years I should know better than to think: "Oh, what could possibly go wrong?" :oops:

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#74 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.5 RC3 has been uploaded to sourceforge and github.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#75 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:But if you change the order they're listed on the hull then it can mess up the AI,
FYI, I'm pretty sure that Morlic's ShipDesigner has entirely cleared up that particular sensitivity.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0