Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New project web pages?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:28 pm 
Space Squid

I did not want to take leizhaoyn topic

Dilvish wrote:
A nicer project page sounds quite appealing.

I took the liberty to create a demo page made fast so you can see what i had in mind :)

Please, it is just as example, with no image work and no real thinking about menu items and content, just concept to see if you like it.

http://malilosinj.info/freeorion/index.php

It is made using:
joomla : GNU General Public License. - http://joomla.org
gantry framework: dual MIT & GPL license - http://gantry.org/
RokSprocket Module: GPLv2 or later - http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/roksprocket

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:50 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

initial impression: Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:27 am 
Programmer

Initial impression: takes ages to load, but maybe that's a server/not optimized page issue.

Otherwise I like it for a first draft, but of course there is some room for improvement. In general the widget design should be taken from the in game UI.

Quote:

The one that is in the news for being bug infested? I don't know. I would prefer a static page or a static page generator.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 am 
Release Manager, Design

Looks promising :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:28 am 
Creative Contributor

adrian_broher wrote:
Initial impression: takes ages to load, but maybe that's a server/not optimized page issue.

Doesn't for me, but I'm normally on a very fast connection. Are the images optimised fully in the mockup?
Quote:
Otherwise I like it for a first draft, but of course there is some room for improvement. In general the widget design should be taken from the in game UI.

Quote:

The one that is in the news for being bug infested? I don't know. I would prefer a static page or a static page generator.

Joomla's an open source project, of course it's full of bugs ;-) I've never used it, but I've heard good things.

But, with any CMS I'd always be most worried about maintenence after install, if the person/people that know it well become unavailable, how easy is it to update and/or how insecure is it/likely to be if not updated? Had some serious problems with unmaintained Wordpress installs in the past and I've no idea how good Joomla is at security.

It does look nice though, I personally dislike the current fashion for massive pictures and lots of scrolling but everyone seems to be doing it so that's just my taste, old curmudgeon that I am.

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:12 pm 
Content Scripter

MatGB wrote:
But, with any CMS I'd always be most worried about maintenence after install, if the person/people that know it well become unavailable, how easy is it to update and/or how insecure is it/likely to be if not updated? Had some serious problems with unmaintained Wordpress installs in the past and I've no idea how good Joomla is at security.
That's an important point. Maintainability of the homepage in general should have a high priority.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:47 pm 
Space Squid

Thank you for comments, it should load faster with optimised images and file caching enabled(first image only is almost 0,5 Mb), I can make static generated page that looks same way (almost identical or however you like it ;) ), depends on needs.

Any system have flaws and advantages, just some of them:

Static pages are somewhat faster to generate or lets say need less server resources, simpler and easier to maintain, no database and no php makes them harder to hack. But, any changes in content need manual code change, and if there is many pages it may be pain just to add new menu item...

Content Management System is all point and click, easy to add news or change content, but need to be updated regularly (joomla have auto update system for core and plugins), with caching pages get generated only once in a while and that saves some server resources. Of course CMS need database and php running on server (same as this forum and wiki).
I have joomla in few sites and did not experience any bugs or glitches yet. It has backend with user login and any member with permission can add content.

So basically all comes to what freeorion needs, if you plan to regularly change content, add news, write stories or similar go for CMS, if not then static pages are best.

MatGB wrote:

My hosting company have cpanel with softaculous and that software creates backup and updates joomla automatically as new version is out and send email notification. I don't know if that is the case with freeorion hosting, as I said before joomla have built in updater, and as soon as you login in administration it is offering to update itself.

Cheers!