Extra protection for main GitHub branches

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Extra protection for main GitHub branches

#1 Post by Dilvish »

I saw that GitHub has recently enabled being able to place some additional protections on key branches. The first tier of protection is simply to disable force-pushes and to prevent branch deletion. The second tier involves requiring some sort of status checking before making commits to a protected branch, but I didn't read up on the details of that.

I've gone ahead and enabled the first tier of protection (no branch deletion, no force-pushes) on the main branches -- master, release-0.4.4 and release-0.4.5

If by some chance we do need to make a force-push in the future, we can always go in and temporarily undo the protection, but this will help ensure that such events to not accidentally happen due to mis-click or being mixed up about which repo a particular branch is tracking, etc.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Extra protection for main GitHub branches

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sounds reasonable.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Extra protection for main GitHub branches

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Good idea!