The Ghost of FreeOrion Past

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

The Ghost of FreeOrion Past

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I was reading through the ChangeLog, which goes back to v0.3.1-RC5. It's rather interesting, seeing where things came in or went away (used to food and farming tech apparently).

Are any of the older versions available? I didn't see them on the download sites, but I might not have been looking in the right place. I'm not sure I want to try the older ones, but I might some time.

Also, are there any older change logs for more history lessons?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: The Ghost of FreeOrion Past

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The oldest prebuilt executables should still be downloadable from sourceforge. The changelogs are generally prepared by reviewing and editing the commit history. Here is the very beginning (note, that link is in relative pages from the most recent, so as we add more commits it won't quite point to the absolute first anymore, but you could still easily navigate from there).

One thing to keep in mind is that before ~Oct/Nov 2012, the AI was not at all expansionist and did not make for much opposition.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

You'll can also find some historical info on this (outdated) wiki page (and the pages it links to). Will give you an idea what the first versions of FO looked like...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

I was able to locate the downloads. Needed to go up a level.

Thanks.