How does it work focus switching?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How does it work focus switching?

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:What about making the change rates of industry and research proportional to the difference between max and min values...
What are the max and min values? Paired meters have target or max, and current values.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#32 Post by Oberlus »

Yeah, sorry for my clumsy terminology.

I mean with "minimum" the minimum value it can reach (e.g., for research in a regular colony with Nascent AI, that would be 2, when focus is not set to research).
And "maximum" goes for its maximum possible value with current population and techs when the proper focus is set.
So it wouldn't consider current value (except to avoid going off the possible range).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:I mean with "minimum" the minimum value it can reach (e.g., for research in a regular colony with Nascent AI, that would be 2, when focus is not set to research).
And "maximum" goes for its maximum possible value with current population and techs when the proper focus is set.
I don't think those values are well defined. Various factors can contribute to target meter values. Perhaps you mean to consider only a subset of possible meter modifications?

I'd be more inclined to base it on something like the infrastructure meter...

Edit: Additionally, rather than tweaking penalties for changing focus, an alternative might be to introduce some bonuses for keepkng focus unchanged for long periods. Perhaps after 10 or 20 turns in industry focus, planets couls get an extra +5 to target infustry output, and similar benefits from other content for other meters. This might also gave a nice property of increasing the motivatin to bot change focus as the game advances and moe such time-and-stability-dependent bonuses are unlocked. More rapid or frequent focus switching is generaly less annoying for players when they have fewer foci to adjust.