Custom Species/ Additional Species

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

silbrulf
Space Krill

Custom Species/ Additional Species

#1 Post by silbrulf »

ive spent about 6hrs tonight looking and havent found any additional species to download into FO... the basic starting ten are ok, but id like more variety and if there is a list of species mods or anything that will add more choices and more potential opponents, please link for me?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Custom Species/ Additional Species

#2 Post by MatGB »

There aren't (that I'm aware of) any extra downloads for the game, because it's very much still in Alpha development any good species ideas tend to get incorporated directly in. I definitely hope to add some more playable species during the next cycle.

However, a design objective of the game is to make it easily modifiable, one of the next first things I did was add a new species to my game. It wasn't very good but it worked. If you go into the game install folder, you want default/scripting /species and have a look at what's there, and add /amend files. If it all goes horribly wrong you can always reinstall. I'm on phone so can't link but the wiki has a page on Effects if you get stuck, or just ask here, I still have to regularly and I'm a contributor.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One »

What Mat said. Looking at the existing species, I don't think you'll find it hard to create your own. If you're looking for background story ideas, have a look at the Story thread viewforum.php?f=7.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#4 Post by Sloth »

silbrulf wrote:ive spent about 6hrs tonight looking and havent found any additional species to download into FO... the basic starting ten are ok, but id like more variety and if there is a list of species mods or anything that will add more choices and more potential opponents, please link for me?
I hope you are aware that there are about 25 native species that you can conquer and about 14 of them can colonize (plus three extinct species that you can resurrect when you are using a recent version). If you want to play any of these species from the start you can just add "playable" to their species scripts.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

The Silent One wrote:What Mat said. Looking at the existing species, I don't think you'll find it hard to create your own.
If it helps: Effects Tutorial - New Species example

silbrulf
Space Krill

#6 Post by silbrulf »

Sloth wrote:I hope you are aware that there are about 25 native species that you can conquer and about 14 of them can colonize (plus three extinct species that you can resurrect when you are using a recent version). If you want to play any of these species from the start you can just add "playable" to their species scripts.
I was aware of the native species, but i was NOT aware of being so simple to "mod" them into being playable. Thank you to everyone who answered. Now i just need to learn scripting so i can understand the stuff im tweaking... lol. And a few other things so i can build my own anything and really contribute.