Renaming 'Objects'

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Renaming 'Objects'

#1 Post by MatGB »

Over the last few cycles, the Objects window has changed from a rudimentary search screen into a very power empire management tool. The name "Objects" simply doesn't do it justice and makes its purpose harder for a new player to comprehend.

But, as it is a search screen for all of the (visible) game, renaming it "Empire Management" or similar sounds off. As would Search.

I am, frankly, at a loss for ideas so, anyone got a good one?

(also, if anyone fancies coding up a simple box tick toggle marked "show only your objects" that displays immediately you call it up it would be marvellous)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: Renaming 'Objects'

#2 Post by labgnome »

How about Galactic Index?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Bromstarzan »

I agree, as I pretty late (as a beginner) came to understand the many more "features" that this "Object search" offers.
I now think of it as a situation report, hence "SitRep" could perhaps work? Oh wait, there's already a SitRep window :lol:

other that comes to mind (although a bit like "object"): the
1) Archive,
2) Mainframe,
4) Repository,
5) Record,
6) Administration

Sure there are more suitable names, but it doesn't hurt to give suggestions to inspire some more :)
Last edited by Bromstarzan on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Krikkitone »

labgnome wrote:How about Galactic Index?
Sounds good.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

Maybe some tie in to the "Empire Intelligence Agency" to reflect the state of objects represented?

Could simply prepend some of Bromstarzans suggestions with EIA, repository is probably the best fit but not sure it is in wide enough use.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Bromstarzan »

Galactic Index is quite interesting. From this I came to think of GDP (Gross Domestic Product) as a measure we often use here on Earth, so what would be more appropriate than GGP? (Gross Galactic Product) :)

I like the EIA suggestion too.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bromstarzan wrote:Galactic Index is quite interesting.
It does not, however, address the complaint / concern that motivated this thread.

I would also oppose a long / multi-word alternative. "Objects" is nice because it is short.

biza
Space Squid

#8 Post by biza »

Hm, now when galactopedia is just pedia (encyclopedia), maybe:

Galactopedia - place where you can find, compare and manage all known objects.

Cheers

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

A thought occurred to me and I'd be interested to know how well it could translate:
Gazetteer - Wikipedia

I'm fairly certain that I've seen the term in at least one SF book/series but I forget which (Foundation perhaps, maybe when either Trevize or one of the Darrells was travelling?), but I found out that NASA/IAU have one:
Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#10 Post by em3 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
It does not, however, address the complaint / concern that motivated this thread.

I would also oppose a long / multi-word alternative. "Objects" is nice because it is short.
Maybe just "Index" then?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

labgnome
Juggernaut

#11 Post by labgnome »

em3 wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:

Maybe just "Index" then?
Index works for me, maybe "Galactic Index" for formal references in the 'pedia?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Not sure how "Index" is any clearer than "Objects"...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Even if we want to keep the button tooltip to a single word, that doesn't mean that the window title itself has to be a single word, just like the SitRep button opens up the Situation Report window. I think that titling the window as "Object Registry" or "Directory of Known Objects" or somesuch would help a fair bit to clarify its purpose.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#14 Post by dbenage-cx »

Gazetteer is kind of growing on me after visiting that NASA/IAU link.

When reading the pedia, any references to this window would be very confusing if it was labeled Index (pedia index or Index window?)

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by Krikkitone »

dbenage-cx wrote:Gazetteer is kind of growing on me after visiting that NASA/IAU link.

When reading the pedia, any references to this window would be very confusing if it was labeled Index (pedia index or Index window?)
Sounds like a newspaper...which is misleading

Its basically a Database....so call it "database" if we want to stick with one word.