FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am
Posts: 213
Discussion topic: Would it be ok if outposts get a stealth bonus from species traits?

Hi community, when playing hidden species I am often forced to build colonies instead of outposts.

This feels totally wrong - a colony should be much more difficult to hide than a outpost, shouldn't it?

I can think of many different implementations, some of them really easy and scriptable, but I'd like to know first if it would be acceptable if outposts get such a bonus.

One KISS implementation: calculate an single empire-wide stealth for outposts based on your stealth tech and the stealthiest species in the empire. Apply this empire-wide stealth to all outposts of that empire.

_________________
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3286
I sort of agree, but I wouldn't go for the best species, I'd go for the species at the capital, just because you've managed to find some Furthest, Setinon or Lembala'Lam doesn't mean you can hide all your outposts. Alternatively/as well, there could be a tech specifically for outposts.

It is annoying when playing a species such as Laenfa that you can't colonise in the preferred way, on the other hand it could be seen as a balancing factor in that they are currently very annoying to have near you in the early game and I've expressed worries about them balance wise in the past (basically, play Laenfa and the AI can't touch you until way after turn 100).

It might be an idea to reduce the species bonus Laenfa receive and instead give them the first planetary stealth tech for free, that would help with this without requiring too much effort: Trith and Etty don't have a high enough starting stealth for this to be as big an issue.

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:57 pm
Posts: 204
A few of things.
  • What about a tech (or set of techs) that increased outpost stealth?
  • Where in the code would this sort of thing be coded?
  • If I wanted to actually call owning the capital in something I write, how would I do that?
Namely because this interests me, and I've been thinking about some other things around this (who has the capitol) as well.

_________________
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:45 pm 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12040
Location: Munich
labgnome wrote:
  • What about a tech (or set of techs) that increased outpost stealth?
  • Where in the code would this sort of thing be coded?
Presumably you'd want to add a tech definition, probably in a new file, in https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... /techs/spy

You can probably base on it an existing tech, such as: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 2.focs.txt

The interesting stuff is the effectsgroups section:
Code:
    effectsgroups =
        EffectsGroup
            scope = And [
                OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
                Planet
            ]
            activation = And [
                Not OwnerHasTech name = "SPY_STEALTH_3"
                Not OwnerHasTech name = "SPY_STEALTH_4"
            ]
            effects = [
                AddSpecial name = "VOLCANIC_ASH_SLAVE_SPECIAL"
                RemoveSpecial name = "CLOUD_COVER_SLAVE_SPECIAL"
            ]

You'd probably want to change that to SetStealth value = Value + 10 or somesuch instead of adding and removing specials. The activation condition would work similarly as that series of techs, assuming you'd have several similar techs that give different levels of stealth, but shouldn't be listed separately in the effect accounting tooltip. The scope would need an additional condition to exclude populated planets or planets with any species on them.
Quote:
  • If I wanted to actually call owning the capital in something I write, how would I do that?
I don't understand the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4287
Location: Sol III
MatGB wrote:
I sort of agree, but I wouldn't go for the best species, I'd go for the species at the capital, just because you've managed to find some Furthest, Setinon or Lembala'Lam doesn't mean you can hide all your outposts. Alternatively/as well, there could be a tech specifically for outposts.
This.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:28 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am
Posts: 213
Vezzra wrote:
MatGB wrote:
I sort of agree, but I wouldn't go for the best species, I'd go for the species at the capital, just because you've managed to find some Furthest, Setinon or Lembala'Lam doesn't mean you can hide all your outposts. Alternatively/as well, there could be a tech specifically for outposts.
This.

@Vezzra Just making sure I read you right. So both would be okay for you? The tech idea as well as the capital?

I'd like the capital version - this would mean the place where you place your capitol will determine your p
laying style, it would also help the starting races sneaky species in a natural way.

We just have to invent other bonus depending on your capital so you need to decide between the different bonus... hm for example troop bonus on outposts would fit quite well.

_________________
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Last edited by Ophiuchus on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am
Posts: 213
labgnome wrote:
... If I wanted to actually call owning the capital in something I write, how would I do that?

I think this is what you are looking for
Code:
activation = Capital

Probably you would add this either to the species macros (using species bonus)

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... &type=Code

What I don't know is how to access a value from a stacking group
Code:
stackinggroup = "SPECIES_STEALTH_STACK"

So if going for species bonus of your capital, one would probably hack it into the stealth macros.

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... lth.macros

_________________
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:36 pm 
Offline
Release Manager, Design
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Posts: 4287
Location: Sol III
Ophiuchus wrote:
Vezzra wrote:
MatGB wrote:
I sort of agree, but I wouldn't go for the best species, I'd go for the species at the capital, just because you've managed to find some Furthest, Setinon or Lembala'Lam doesn't mean you can hide all your outposts. Alternatively/as well, there could be a tech specifically for outposts.
This.

@Vezzra Just making sure I read you right. So both would be okay for you? The tech idea as well as the capital?
Exactly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:57 pm
Posts: 204
Geoff the Medio wrote:
labgnome wrote:
  • If I wanted to actually call owning the capital in something I write, how would I do that?
I don't understand the question.
If I want to script a condition based around species capital ownership how would I reference that? I haven't seen anything that does that, so I don't even know for sure if I can.
Ophiuchus wrote:
I think this is what you are looking for
Code:
activation = Capital
I don't think so. I've only seen that used to reference the capital as a location, IE: things that happen at the capitol. I want to create a condition that would apply across the whole empire based off what species was on the planet with the capitol. IE: If I wanted to set all outpost stealth values (no matter who built them) to Lafena stealth values, how would I do that? Or if I wanted to make all my Scylior happy that they now owned the capitol how would I tell them to do that?

_________________
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:57 pm
Posts: 204
Vezzra wrote:
Ophiuchus wrote:
Vezzra wrote:
This.

@Vezzra Just making sure I read you right. So both would be okay for you? The tech idea as well as the capital?
Exactly.
Thank you Kosh.
Image

_________________
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3286
I think, and bear in mind I'm a tester more than a scripter for a reason, that if you put the effect in the Imperial Palace script it should work, but also in the species script, because they activate per planet so if the capital has that species then it can then work on all outposts.

And Vezzra would make a terrible Kosh, talks too much :-) but it wap a yes to both.

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline
Programming, Design, Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Posts: 12040
Location: Munich
Ophiuchus wrote:
I'd like the capital version - this would mean the place where you place your capitol will determine your playing style, it would also help the starting races sneaky species in a natural way.
Having the starting species be "special" in an empire is something we generally avoid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:10 am 
Offline
Graphics
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:27 pm
Posts: 708
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Having the starting species be "special" in an empire is something we generally avoid.
For that reason, I would also favor the outpost stealth tech approach.

_________________
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline
Creative Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm
Posts: 3286
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Ophiuchus wrote:
I'd like the capital version - this would mean the place where you place your capitol will determine your playing style, it would also help the starting races sneaky species in a natural way.
Having the starting species be "special" in an empire is something we generally avoid.
We do?

That's news.

Laenfa, Trith, Eaxaw, George (that's one of your recent ones), Etty and even Egassem are special and unique in many factors, Laenfa specifically are vastly different in starting advantage/disadvantage and I've been planning to work on a few other ideas.

_________________
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
Dyson Forest

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 am
Posts: 213
The Silent One wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Having the starting species be "special" in an empire is something we generally avoid.
For that reason, I would also favor the outpost stealth tech approach.

This is not about the starting species. It is about the species at your capital. You can always move your capital, can't you?

_________________
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group