more uses for system circles

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

more uses for system circles

#1 Post by The Silent One »

Currently systems that contain colonies, a capital or natives are only differentiated on the map by the font of the system name. I suggest that we also use the system circles for this. It improves the legibility of the map at close zoom, and it also keeps the information available at far-out zoom when the text labels are hidden. A screenshot and a link to the code for the circles are below.

single border - unexplored/uncolonised system
outer segmented border - natives
outer unsegmented border - colony
second outer segmented border - capital

grey color - standard
white - natives
empire color - supply by empire
(to consider: currently colony of empire 1, supply by empire 2 = color by empire 2)

https://github.com/TheSilentOne1/freeor ... em-circles
Attachments
system_circles_improvement.jpg
system_circles_improvement.jpg (278.52 KiB) Viewed 952 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: more uses for system circles

#2 Post by The Silent One »

The Silent One wrote:(to consider: currently colony of empire 1, supply by empire 2 = color by empire 2)
Maybe inner circle color = who has supply of system, outer circle color = who has colonies in the system, outmost circle = capitals ( / shipyards?) ?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

I prefer to see something new, what wasn't displayed on the map, like systems where happened events from SitRep.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

o01eg wrote:I prefer to see something new, what wasn't displayed on the map, like systems where happened events from SitRep.
Map markers for sitrep events have been discussed before, see here:
http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=marker

I also think this would be a good thing.