Gateway to the Void needs a buff

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Gateway to the Void needs a buff

#16 Post by MatGB »

Voker57 wrote:I find it very inconsistent that experimentators would just stand by and be consumed by void.
Yeah, it's their galaxy, why would they let some upstart civ that doesn't even understand how to make a galaxy properly suck them into a void?

We've discussed Gateway before, several times, to me it's one of those interstitial techs that I go past to get the Good Stuff, it's a purely defensive building designed for turtlers and has no place in my strategy.

Having said that, the plan to, at some point, move Enclave to a much earlier position, tone down the initial bonus and have all the "…of the Void" techs give it a buff in a similar way to Industrial Centre still exists, so then the tech will be doing something other than unlocking a building that's only useful if you're a coward.

I'm still not sure on Geoff's Black Hole Collapser building,b ut that's so hard to use it's not really a balance problem unless/until we make it a weapon. The void thing idea sounds like that but more unbalanced: one of the Precursor races would step in and destroy your Civ if you tried that sort of thing.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

#17 Post by afwbkbc »

Yeah, it's their galaxy, why would they let some upstart civ that doesn't even understand how to make a galaxy properly suck them into a void?
It's their galaxy but Void is above and beyond any galaxies or species or anything. Even Precursors have no way to deal with Void, apart from locking galaxy away from it on creation stage. Gateway to the Void already weakens this barrier slightly, Precursors do not interfere because they have no reason to care about anything in galaxy. So galaxy sucked into the void do not concern them, they can just make another if needed.
Experimentators don't want to die, so if they see Void Rift closing to their planet - they just move their planet elsewhere, away from danger, to some distant and safe location.
So after galaxy is wiped out they just return to whereaway they came from and continue with their stuff there (i.e. making new galaxy).
Problem solved.
it's a purely defensive building designed for turtlers and has no place in my strategy.
Well in it's current stage is purely useless building because everybody can just fly through and do anything they want.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

afwbkbc wrote:Precursors do not interfere because they have no reason to care about anything in galaxy. So galaxy sucked into the void do not concern them, they can just make another if needed.
You are quite the prolific poster! New ideas are very important for a project like this, so I don't want to ask you to just stop posting, but I will suggest you keep some things in mind.

I find myself a bit puzzled as to your intentions with these posts. It doesn't really seem like you are just sharing the details of something you have scripted up for yourself and enjoy and want to share with anyone who might like to try them. It seems more like you are proposing changes for the master FO branch, but you have not seemed very open to discussing constructive criticism of your ideas; your responses nearly always seem to be reflexively defensive, with little or no effort to understand the other person's point of view. This is a collaborative project, and a person has to be willing to work with feedback for their ideas to go very far here.

Also, if a person is cranking out a lot of ideas but isn't acting interested in actually receiving constructive criticism about them, many people will likely wind up deciding it isn't worth their time to even bother reading the posts to begin with.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Also, if a person is cranking out a lot of ideas but isn't acting interested in actually receiving constructive criticism about them, many people will likely wind up deciding it isn't worth their time to even bother reading the posts to begin with.
Which, I might add, is a pity, as at least some of the ideas afwbkbc churns out actually are interesting and worth further consideration (IMO).

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

#20 Post by afwbkbc »

Well I'm going to implement my ideas later when I have more free time. I accept constructive criticism, I changed my opinion several times (i.e. agreed to drop Void Stabilization tech), and when I don't - I provide arguments why.
We should also keep in mind that balancing something 'on paper' is very approximate, if somebody is 100% sure something will be imbalanced - this percent is closer to 30%, because game has many factors that can't be calculated accurately theoretically. So any change will need to be balanced after it's implemented. So that's why I don't treat mentions of imbalance as seriously as you expect.