Humans should always start in Solar System

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

Humans should always start in Solar System

#1 Post by afwbkbc »

Humans have no real benefits as species, so this may be compensated by increasing starting planets count slightly. Also it will be more realistic.
So, I suggest these changes:
- Starting star is always named Sun or Sol
- Starting star always has 9 specific planets:
Mercury : Tiny Radiated
Venus : Medium Inferno
Earth : Medium Terran ( starting planet )
Mars : Small Desert
Asteroids
Jupiter : Gas Giant
Saturn : Gas Giant
Uranus : Gas Giant
Neptune : Gas Giant
Pluto : Tiny Barren

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Re: Humans should always start in Solar System

#2 Post by Krikkitone »

afwbkbc wrote:Humans have no real benefits as species, so this may be compensated by increasing starting planets count slightly. Also it will be more realistic.
So, I suggest these changes:
- Starting star is always named Sun or Sol
- Starting star always has 9 specific planets:
Mercury : Tiny Radiated
Venus : Medium Inferno
Earth : Medium Terran ( starting planet )
Mars : Small Desert
Asteroids
Jupiter : Gas Giant
Saturn : Gas Giant
Uranus : Gas Giant
Neptune : Gas Giant
Pluto : Tiny Barren
If you want realistic, replace Pluto with a second asteroid belt

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Humans should always start in Solar System

#3 Post by MatGB »

It will at some point be possible to script scenarios.

So if someone then wanted to create a Python script that replicated the Milky Way with two main spirals and two half spirals, a central bar and a Solar System with several asteroid belts, then I'd be happy to play that.

But unless you're going to script the entire galaxy it's utterly pointless. Plus, it's fairly clear that we're definitely not in our galaxy and at some point fiction/explanation will be written explaining this.

Regardless, humans have no main advantages or disadvantages, if you genuinely think they play at a complete disadvantage to most/all other playable species there's a balance problem and we need to tone all the other species down.

I have expressed in the past a desire that maybe in 'advanced' setup for games you could have a "all home systems start with" option for asteroid belts and gas giants, but that's just in the nascent discussion stages and isn't a priority until various other things are done in the same area.

But the Humans in game aren't Earth humans, there are sometimes multiple different versions of them, it's not our galaxy and humans aren't disadvantaged in the game anyway.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.