FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Nest eradication
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm 
Programmer

We should recognize that Tualha has already done the work, and submitted a PR implementing 1. While 3. or 2. may be preferable, unless someone raises an objection that we agree is valid, then we should honor the work and use 1., until someone is motivated enough to implement 3. or 2. This is intended as a stop-gap, not a final solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 pm 
Release Manager, Design

LGM-Doyle wrote:
unless someone raises an objection that we agree is valid
Well, my major gripe with that approach is that the tech+building has practically only a micromanagement purpose. Meaning, a player would invest RP and PP just to avoid the (minor) annoyance of having to scrap unwanted domesticated monsters they get every few turns. While still tolerable as a stop-gap solution, if another, equally simple stop-gap solution offers a better approach I'd be inclined to go with the latter.

But I'm not adamant about this. If others share your sentiment (to just adopt the PR that has already been put up to honor the work that went into it), I can live with that. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
Space Dragon

I would say 3 is the way to go, but that it won't harm to have in use Tualha's patch until 3 is implemented, and then remove Tualha's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 pm 
Space Floater

Nice of people to speak up in favor of my developed patch, but I’m not married to it. I was just throwing it out there. I like Vezzra’s idea of decoupling organic hulls from monster ranching, perhaps in combination with my idea of a common ancestor theoretical tech dealing with all space life. That all seems fairly simple to accomplish.

We could keep the nest eradicator (at reduced cost) as part of the monster line: first, as another type of terraforming that lets you get rid of unwanted nests while keeping others, e.g. Oberlus liking krakens but not snowflakes; second, to remind people that there is a monster line and encourage development of same. And we have plenty of ideas for development in this thread alone.