Espionage ship and ship part?!?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

biza
Space Squid

Espionage ship and ship part?!?

#1 Post by biza »

Hm, i know it is not in roadmap (only as optional), but i got idea and could not find similar here on forum.
How difficult is to make new ship type with only one special slot? (maybe reuse old small ship design)
In this slot can fit one of new special ship parts. Mask red, mask blue, mask yellow.... (or mask as Control, mask as Territory, mask as Union...)
Ship with part mask as Union will be invisible to Union player.
Story:
Lets name this ship type "merchant ship" and it fools that color players autorities to think it is just their normal merchant ship transporting goods...
To other players it may be yellow or my colour whatever is easier to program

If it is doable there may be room for improvements and possible implementation of sabotage part of spying.
Eg. make big merchant with more special slots and parts like eg. destroy building and when ship is in orbit it can be activated for chance to destroy some building in that planet...

There may be some merchant control tech or traffic control building that can lower chances of sabotage success or increase detection chance when in planet orbit.

Cheers!!!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Espionage ship and ship part?!?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi biza, colored ships only work for other players and could invite micromanagement (you have to check all your colored ships). Besides that there are no merchant ships in freeorion as you know cheers :)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, but I've been thinking about a Q-ship design on and off, we probably need a generic 'merchant' hull for colonies and similar, it's worth considering when we do the hull rework we've discussed.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

biza
Space Squid

#4 Post by biza »

Thanks for your replies.
Ophiuchus wrote:Hi biza, colored ships only work for other players and could invite micromanagement (you have to check all your colored ships). Besides that there are no merchant ships in freeorion as you know cheers :)
well, i was thinking about making it invisible for only one enemy, it does not sound good to me to be able to produce ship and send it to explore all universe undetectable...no point in scouts then. (that spy ship that belong to you will be in your color to you)
U say no merchant ships in freeorion, hm and how is all supply/production/fuel between stars transporting :)

Idea is if you want to sail in their space undetectable you have to make ship that looks like one of their own :)

And idea behind me opening this thread is that implementing (basic) espionage/sabotage doesnt have to be complicated, with meters, special spy units, infiltration chances and etc. mentioned in espionage threads.

Cheers!!