More dependencies on strategic resources (ship build on )

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: More dependencies on strategic resources (ship build on

#16 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:I'm still cautious about the very existence of rules, especially given the AI doesn't know about them, but I see the appeal for multiplayer etc: as long as I'm not expected to put too much effort into balancing stuff taking rules into account having more of them is fine.
Yep, that's definitely important. Things are already pretty hard, in some cases almost impossible to balance with the wide selections the "normal" game settings provide. Getting things right/to work with all possible game rules, especially exotic ones, isn't something we should (or can) try to accomplish.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#17 Post by Ophiuchus »

Vezzra wrote:
MatGB wrote:I'm still cautious about the very existence of rules, especially given the AI doesn't know about them, but I see the appeal for multiplayer etc: as long as I'm not expected to put too much effort into balancing stuff taking rules into account having more of them is fine.
Yep, that's definitely important. Things are already pretty hard, in some cases almost impossible to balance with the wide selections the "normal" game settings provide. Getting things right/to work with all possible game rules, especially exotic ones, isn't something we should (or can) try to accomplish.
A first step would be a rule as a challenge only for players, so the AI could build the way it does now. Enforcement is better than roleplaying.

On the more important general aspect of AI:
Is it possible to modularize the AI? Like a portal/package structure where you can plug in parts or hints of AI for certain rules?
I'm not sure how other projects like c-evo handle this, anybody has some experience?

What would be great: I want to provide another combat system as "plugin", so I would also add an AI-plugin for assessment of combat strength/ship design.

Or in the past I would have liked to provide the supply ships as plugin and help the AI to use it.

Or the Government branch.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#18 Post by dbenage-cx »

MatGB wrote:Asteriod hulls depending on asteroid belts work because asteroid belts are an essential game element always present on all maps.
Slight gripe, I don't find asteroids to be suitably present on many maps to a point that bee-lining for asteroid hulls is a reliable option.
A suitable presence in this regard would be a system with an asteroid belt and a habitable planet.
In some instances, I feel obligated to the robotics line for bombardment.
Of course, that may be biased by my map setup/playstyle, though I try to alter the setups every so often.
Ophiuchus wrote:Is it possible to modularize the AI? Like a portal/package structure where you can plug in parts or hints of AI for certain rules?
Depending what you want to accomplish, you could define or alter a behavior or character.

For use as an alternate to the default content/AI:
If there are other related content changes, simply copying the default folder to a new directory and changing the resource.path option should work.
For just AI changes, a different AI could be specified with ai-path (though I don't know how much use this option sees).

OT: Moving the combat resolution to python (or some similar script definitions) might be a nice option to consider.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 pm
For organics ships:
Reduce minimum turns tu build (-1 per special?) for production in that planet. Increase speed (+10 each different special?) and/or regeneration rate and/or growth rate (+10% per special?) of ships in supply range.
For robotics:
Reduce de cost for production (-10% per special?) in that planet. Increase speed and/or repair rate of ships in supply range.
For asteroids:
Increase the armor (+5 or +10% per special?). Increase speed and/or repair rate of ships in supply range.

Hmm... I can't think of anything else apart from speed or repair rate for ships within supply range, to help differentiate each line.
For Organic I like the boost to regeneration rate, growth speed, and maybe even growth maximum, but wouldn't it be better to have each special gives a different boost ?

For Asteroids giving them regeneration ability within range of Silmaline Crystals is a good idea, maybe +10 stealth in Asteroid Belts within range of Native Elerium, +10 speed for Ferric Minerals (actually I don't like the idea of boosting speed for Asteroid Hulls¹ but like you I don't have better ideas²)?

For Robotic, Speed and Repair rate boosts are acceptable (they're not very original but what the heck), could the third be +1 shield ? That's coherent with Monopole Magnets I think.

But what would be the advantage for Asteroid Hulls built in shipyards in the same system as a Lithic special ? Is it possible with the current codebase to just add structure or Armor ? Or to just have ships in the building queue cost 30% less upkeep per special ?

¹ That should be reserved for Organic Hulls who already are the quick ones since the Energy line isn't associated with any special

² Or maybe give them a basic 25 stealth on systems with Barren planets within supply range as Ferric Minerals will allow them to blend in the magnetic signature of these rocky planets ?