Make those puny hunams GOOD_STOCKPILING

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Make those puny hunams GOOD_STOCKPILING

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi, I probably get beaten by some people...

But I thought it would be nice to have a non-stealthy stockpiling race.
As the GOOD_ level is good enough for some flexibility in your build choices and to temporarily circumvent silly problems (like colonizing a planet with but miscalculating the supply, so its not connected). The beginners choice of 4x games are humans, so that would fit. Also they are underwhelming as soon as you you start mixing other species to your empire. As stockpile capacity is connected to it population size, suddenly to have a lot of human population in your empire would give you a stockpile boost.

So I nominate my old enemy the humans for GOOD_STOCKPILING.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Make those puny hunams GOOD_STOCKPILING

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Probably because of experience with old 4X games, I would expect Humans to be average on everything or good only at diplomacy/influence.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:Probably because of experience with old 4X games, I would expect Humans to be average on everything or good only at diplomacy/influence.
Although our rat-heritage would be very compatible with the idea of us being better stockpilers, I would agree that it is most fitting (and simply useful for FO development/testing) to have humans be Average at everything (except of course we are quite Stylish! :D )
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#4 Post by EricF »

Oberlus wrote:Probably because of experience with old 4X games, I would expect Humans to be average on everything or good only at diplomacy/influence.
What in the last 10,000 years of Human history would suggest that Humans are good at diplomacy? :D

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

EricF wrote:What in the last 10,000 years of Human history would suggest that Humans are good at diplomacy? :D
:lol:
Nothing! Except if we consider Gunboat diplomacy (and its nuclear version) a nice way of "diplomacy". Also, I don't think humanity is good at influencing (humanity), but that humans are easily influenced (consumerism culture expanding all over the world thanks to TV and the such).

I was just thinking of MoO2 and GalCiv2, mostly.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

So if humans are not eligible for GOOD_STOCKPILING for reasons of nostalgia, do you have candidates for GOOD_STOCKPILING?

Maybe george because it already knows what is needed everywhere?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Maybe not the kind of answer you'd like, but I'd suggest Frankov.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

I also think the humans should stay the "average at everything" race, thus providing sort of a "point of reference" for species design.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

EricF wrote:What in the last 10,000 years of Human history would suggest that Humans are good at diplomacy? :D
Depends on what you include into your concept of "diplomacy". If that is supposed to be the ability to solve conflicts peacefully, well, at that we probably suck really, really badly.

If however that includes all kinds of non-physical means to influence, coerce, manipulate, convince and whatever others to get your way (by means of subterfuge, betrayal, deceit, fraud, cunning... you get the picture ;)), I'd say we're quite the masters of the craft, aren't we? :mrgreen:

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote:Maybe not the kind of answer you'd like, but I'd suggest Frankov.
Yeah why not. Would they be a playable species?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#11 Post by Ophiuchus »

Vezzra wrote:I also think the humans should stay the "average at everything" race, thus providing sort of a "point of reference" for species design.
I think we should add the PALF for that purpose - the most Probable Alien LifeForm.
They look like very pale humanoids with the big heads and big black eyes. All civilizations dreamt that aliens would look like that and the scientists used those as theorectical point of reference for life in the universe. The scientists were very surprised when they encountered actually such a species.

Humans with the unique ability to sweat so much should have an advantage as persistence hunters :lol:

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote:Yeah why not. Would they be a playable species?
I hope so! I guess it just need some to go and implement it.

From the other thread:
Ophiuchus wrote:
Oberlus wrote:Hmmm, idea for species: average (or worse) stealth + great stockpiling + great defense troops + great planetary defenses (a trait that does not exist yet). Edit: plus some bad traits too, probably bad supply.
How about non-stealthy, great stockpiling, good pilots, bad industry, narrow environment. (Maybe good population if also bad research)

Maybe such a species would be using the stockpile to help expansion, building ships in front of supply or in enemy territory to get a timing edge. I dont think that its necessarily necessary to make supply bad if giving good stockpile.
Plenty of good ideas.

Maybe Frankov (the angry cactus) could be that GREAT_PLANETARY_DEFENSES, GREAT/GOOD_STOCKPILING species.
And there is place for another stockpiling race like the one you are sketching here (with or without that planetary defenses trait). BTW, is there already a non-stealthy species with good pilots, bad industry and narrow environment? If that's the case, I'd vote to make it stockpiling.

Re: the bad supply for good stockpiling, I kinda feel it comes hand in hand, as the reason (bad supply) of a species to be forced to develop good stockpiling.

marioxcc
Space Krill

#13 Post by marioxcc »

I think the human species should remain by definition, average in every trait, so that they are the point of reference; thus “good” means “better than how humans have it” and correspondingly for “bad”. I am fine with increasing the stockpiling trait of humans, as long as “average” in stockpiling is redefined to be the new human’s level. Supply levels of other species would not change, it would simply be renamed (e.g.: all species that currently have “average” supply would now be said to have “bad” supply, because although their supply does not change, the reference point does).