How many Players?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

How many Players?

#1 Post by eleazar »

I can't find reference to the number of human and/or AI players that FO is supposed to eventually support. Has that been discussed or determined?
Last edited by eleazar on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How many Players

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Not really...

However, it's certainly not an MMOG, and it's (mostly?) intended for simultaneous play (given the tactical battles) and not play-by-email or somesuch, so there's probably a practical limit to simultaneous human players of less than 12.

That said, if we disabled tactical battles for a game, or mod, then we might have dozens of humans or more in a simultaneous PBEM game, ala VGA planets and the like.

There's no reason now to declare limits on the number of AI players other than by engine limitations... I'd expect dozens, ala Civ3.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

I'm not interested in limiting the number of players, but i want to have an idea how many the game will support for the purposes of the UI. Colored text planet/star lables will only work for approximately a dozen player before some people start to confuse some of the similar colors.

Thus for dozens of players we'll need something else to indicate the team, like the empire flags shown in some of Miu's comps.