Combat-time and game-time

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Is this a good idea, to make the gameplay more comfortable?

I tend to say yes
44%
I tend to say no
56%
I got a totally other idea, drafted below
No votes

Total votes: 9

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by utilae »

But, will the player just play combat for too long and forget about running the empire? And how will combat and the empire turns keep in sync?

discord
Space Kraken

#4 Post by discord »

well, honsetly i think that would be a huge problem, it would give twitching a edge again(changing screen, controling many battles at the same time) and so remove the tactical/strategic(for us slow oldies) part of the game.

it WOULD however work if the computer could control most of it, and CAN handle it without input from you.....perhaps not as good...but that's beside the point.

and it could also work if you use a relativistic(real) battle system, where battles could(and will) drag on for months ingame time....but that is hardly a interesting battle, other then for a bunch of reality freak sickos(like me), would prolly be good for a serious mod....actualy something like what i intended to make....

utilae: the turns COULD keep in sync if they both 'pace' at the same speed.

//discord

elfstone
Space Squid

#7 Post by elfstone »

Okarena, have you read the lengthy discussion about realtime vs. turnbased battle?

Thumper
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Thumper »

I have a "little" question for the programmers:

Is it possible to have two combats happening at the same time?

What I'm thinking of it you have four empires warring and A is attacking B and C is attacking D, and the attacks are not happening in the same system.

If this can be done I think a lot of what Okarena is complaining about will be taken care of... I.e., players not in a fight waiting for players who are fighting. NPC vs NPC would be resolved without human knowledge, unless a human player had a ship in that system at the time, and even then it would be fast.

Another idea is a Stealth Scout lurking in a system where two empires are at war. The scout would gain info on the various weapons, ECM, ECCM, shields, etc., that the two warring empires are using. This info would need to be brought back to the player's empire and would be used to speed up research in the tech fields that the player has not already researched.

Thumper

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#10 Post by Aquitaine »

This is sort of similar to what (I think) Civ3 does. It lets you do certain things while it isn't 'your turn' -- although simultaneous turns are obviously the best bet for a game like MOO3. Basically, when there's combat between two other players (involving at least one human player), then you should be able to continue playing in the strategy map. Perhaps we could also let the human player invite other human players to watch the combat, although this would have to be up to the humans, since you won't always want somebody else checking out your fleet.

This is something we'll have to bring up with the programmers down the road, though. During most of the game (your turn), everyone will go at once. The question is -- what should happen during combat in which you aren't involved. Trying to answer that now would be premature.

Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

mr_ed
Space Squid

#11 Post by mr_ed »

Thumper wrote:I have a "little" question for the programmers:
Is it possible to have two combats happening at the same time?
I don't see why not.
Each battle will be a new instance. Just as long as we put proper headers on network traffic, we should be ok.
Thumper wrote:Another idea is a Stealth Scout lurking in a system where two empires are at war. The scout would gain info on the various weapons, ECM, ECCM, shields, etc., that the two warring empires are using. This info would need to be brought back to the player's empire and would be used to speed up research in the tech fields that the player has not already researched.
I don't think that our model would be able to handle this. Best bet for that scout is to get his info and get out of there à la retreat.
No it doesn't make sense to the other players. "Why hasn't the battle ended? Must be a cloaked scout..."

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by Impaler »

What to do durring combats that your not involved in (or spectating)?

Thats obvious, DIPLOMACY!!! :twisted: Ploting and back stabing and sceaming up all kinds of nasty stuff. MWWAHAHAHAHAHA
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

elfstone
Space Squid

#14 Post by elfstone »

The whole game is open-source so whoever wants can code another client-program. Making an extra Programm for Battles wouldn't make any sense, and having many battles simultaneously wouldn't make sense either i think, especially not if they're turn-based.

Give the player the ability to do things on the strategy-map while others are fighting might be nice, but since the outcome of a battle might be important for the strategymap (is this system red or green now) and those data is only sent once a turn (as i understood it) doing this would be very complicated too.

Maybe there could be some diplomatic interactions between non-fighting players at this time.

drekmonger
Space Kraken

#15 Post by drekmonger »

bandwitdh, processor, and graphics card considerations might limit the number of battles a player is involved in at the same time (esp. if we have a large number of ships possible in each battle).

Not to mention the memory and attention requirements on the human wetware. Personally, I'd rather not upgrade to MS Frontal Lobe 3.2 just to play FreeOrion.

elfstone: making a seprate client program for combat makes a ton of sense, if for no other reason than reducing the amount of time it takes to compile and link.