Combat-time and game-time

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Is this a good idea, to make the gameplay more comfortable?

I tend to say yes
44%
I tend to say no
56%
I got a totally other idea, drafted below
No votes

Total votes: 9

elfstone
Space Squid

#16 Post by elfstone »

But is it worth making another API so everybody can create an own client as on irc-network?

I don't know how this would work, but i hate the idea of my freeorion closing for every scout vs scout battle i have, and an freeorionbattle application starting up, showing me a 1-turn combat, closing again and going back to freeorion, just to give me the next 1vs1 battle, closing again and so on and on...

Thumper
Space Kraken

#17 Post by Thumper »

mr_ed wrote:
Thumper wrote:Another idea is a Stealth Scout lurking in a system where two empires are at war. The scout would gain info on the various weapons, ECM, ECCM, shields, etc., that the two warring empires are using. This info would need to be brought back to the player's empire and would be used to speed up research in the tech fields that the player has not already researched.
I don't think that our model would be able to handle this. Best bet for that scout is to get his info and get out of there à la retreat.
I think that that is what I implied. :D
No it doesn't make sense to the other players. "Why hasn't the battle ended? Must be a cloaked scout..."
The cloaked scout would not be involved in the battle. Why would it delay anything? < On the other hand if it is detected it may come under fire too. :twisted: >

Thumper

elfstone
Space Squid

#19 Post by elfstone »

So, all the large games that come in one .exe file are not playable?

Thumper
Space Kraken

#20 Post by Thumper »

elfstone wrote:So, all the large games that come in one .exe file are not playable?
I don't think that that is what she meant. I think its games with huge galaxies and a lot of players.

Thumper

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by jbarcz1 »

A seperate battle cliejt might be a good idea , provided that We can make the transition between the two look pretty seemless so that elfstone (and I, for that matter) dont get annoyed. We might want to code it into a library or DLL that's linked into the client, but still very modular.

If we did this, there'd be no reason why we can't make it support more than 2 sides to a battle, so the peeping tom scout scenario can still work.
Empire Team Lead

elfstone
Space Squid

#22 Post by elfstone »

What does having an extra battle-client todo with more than 3 player participating in a battle?

discord
Space Kraken

#24 Post by discord »

okarena: actualy all those things are quite possible using the 'huge unpractical and unplayeble' exe file, and HAS been done on many occasions, if you find ANY game more modded then half life, i'd actualy be abit suprised(i'm talking large mods, not just the small stuff), since it's actualy several games in one, half-life, Counter Strike, Natural Selection, just to mention the biggest ones.

what you do to make such things possible is a combination of things.

#1 nice scripting possibilites.
#2 object oriented c++ code with good documentation.(for easy modification on the exe file)
#3 and good documentation on how everything is linked together, what file types the 3d models are in, how the data and config files are setup, etc.

with such things modding is VERY simple, why create several proggies to do what one can do? the only things i can see is to make 'new clients' easier....but actualy it's not, since the 'client' is still just a piece of code, wich inter links with everything else, there is NO reason whatsoever to make it a standalone exe(atleast not that i can see), aight?

save files? that's what they are there for, neh? same system wether you have a standalone proggie or not, only real difference is that you have to create a API if you intend to use a standalone proggie, wich is extra work.

//discord

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by Impaler »

How about this.

When the normal Galactic game turn is over the server calculates all the combats that will need to take place across the entire galaxy (AvsB, AvsB again, CvsD, DvsB DvsB again). It then automaticaly pairs up players who have battles together. For example A and B start a battle as C and D also start a seperate battle. As battles are resolved the players involved return to a waiting state. Once their are two players with additional scedualed battles both in wait mode the server prompts them to start their battles. Players go into and out of battles and wait for their oponents between battles. Once a Player finishes all their battles they can get a jump start on their next Game turn but they will see Question marks on systems that still contain unresolved battles. This Phase lasts as long as their are battles being conducted, once the last battle is finished the Normal game turn begins. Time could be limited in this phase too and if it is the clock starts to tick when the last combat is resolved. Once the game turn is done either by time running out or all players selecting TURN COMPLETE then the next round of combats begin.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#26 Post by jbarcz1 »

It would be easier to implement if all players waited till all battles were done before starting their next turn. Other than that I think impaler's idea is the way to go. We could probably support battles with 3 or 4 sides using this system, if we were so inclined.
Empire Team Lead

mr_ed
Space Squid

#27 Post by mr_ed »

Oh, I've been trying to design it with multiple sides in mind. 8)

@Thumper:

I understood from your post that the battle would end as soon as the two warring sides were finished, and the battle would end it would be the winner and the scout still intact.

If we implement stealth (which we probably should), then there is no reason why we couldn't have cloaked scouts doing exactly that.

discord
Space Kraken

#28 Post by discord »

hmm, i think it just might be better to use the same idea as in imperium galactica, and siply have 'time' and time when things happen.....(they used a variable time setting system, wich could, and have been used to good effect.)

//discord

mr_ed
Space Squid

#30 Post by mr_ed »

discord wrote:hmm, i think it just might be better to use the same idea as in imperium galactica, and siply have 'time' and time when things happen.....(they used a variable time setting system, wich could, and have been used to good effect.)
Can you elaborate a bit on this?