Battle Serverside or Clientside

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#17 Post by Nightfish »

As far as I know, understanding of human behaviour or thinking in complex situations is not one of our priorities. It's probably similar to world peace: It's a nice thing to have but it's nothing we want to or can achieve with our game.

From what I know about AI in previous games and what our programmers have said I doubt we could create a perfect, non-cheating AI even if we had a million gigabytes of data gathered by FreeOrion.

I read your posts and it seems that these recordings are something *you* want because of your interest in psychology or whatever. But this is nothing our game needs to be fun. Or even something that in some small way adds to the funniness of our game.

elfstone
Space Squid

#19 Post by elfstone »

Why dont we agree on a few things:

- We want the game to be fun in single and multiplayer
- Thus we need an AI, as in all other strategy games
- So, the game becomes worthless for you
- Realising that the game will be worthless for you, you depart in frustration

Bye

So, as far as i see, it has not been decided, if battle will be server or client side, and since there is no decision about rts vs tb it doesnt make too much sense to discuss it any further.
Last edited by elfstone on Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

discord
Space Kraken

#21 Post by discord »

okarena: basicly what annoys me is this.

#1 how can 'outsourcing' the combat proggie to client side make for larger games? the server only does number crunching, and take planetarion for an example on that, OVER 100 thousand players at the same time, using serious amounts of math crunching/database interaction at any given moment, and you dont even wanna think about the amount crunched there, so when it comes to number crunching dedicated servers rule(except for EXTREME distributed nets.....but at that point there is no serious risk of any corrupt data.....or anything such.).....and longer? how do you figure that? length of game is up to balancing/fun factor.(if unbalanced, it makes for short boring games, wich brings us to fun, if it aint fun, you dont play it, look at moo3 for a great example of that.)

#2 can go offline and return hours later......either rt/tb system that wont work, period. tb? well, your coplayers cant play without you finishing your turn, neh? and rt....well, time keeps going without you, wich in effect means you are link dead, and your empire will most likely be VERY dead.

#3 no wait time for players? i just dont get that period.

#4 the stability of programs are ALWAYS client side, since there are the problemetic graphic/user interface codes, while server seldom has such problems.

just explain what you are trying to say, cause i cant figure out how whatever it is you want to propose could work, cause to my ears it sounds like a whole damn lot of.....hot air.....and when you started insulting, i just gave some back, with interest.

and just so you know, i dont have 'the largest penis' just a slightly above the scientificly established average one.(16 cm, 90% of the male populace has 14-15cm according to some research somewhere wich i dont remeber right now.), wich makes for a certainly none dwarfish one.

//discord

mr_ed
Space Squid

#22 Post by mr_ed »

I don't know where the penis part came up, but you sure can't compare yours to hers. ;)

drekmonger
Space Kraken

#23 Post by drekmonger »

discord:

anymore posts describing gentilia will be deleted without remorse. Not that I think the human body is an ugly thing, just that it's:

a: bound to offend somone
b: 100% irrelevant

kthx.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by Impaler »

Just had a Crazy though

What if this is all a plot by Okarena to study the phcyology of online message boards and gamers!!!!
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#25 Post by Nightfish »

If it is, then I'm sure sorry she missed PK and the MoO2 die-hard-fans' reign.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#26 Post by Aquitaine »

This thread is locked. Carry on like this and the brainstorming forum will go away.

Okarena and Discord: This is your first and final warning. Any more language or conduct like what I've seen here and you will be banned.

Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!