Ship crews: training vs experince.

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

krum
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by krum »

Impaler wrote: NOTE

We might want to change BRAVERY to RESILIENCE and MORALE to COHESHTION as these are a bit wider in scope and could more easily be aplied to alien races with all kind of differnt belives and emotions (or lack their of). Coheshtion could be lost for a wide variety of events in combat especial the unit being damaged.
On other stuff, it's good. But morale and bravery sound better to me, really, I remembered what the terms you proposed mean after only 5 or so seconds of thinking, but still they sound pretty obscure to a guy who doesn't use English that much :) And they might sound really confusing to someone who knows only "gamer's Englsh" -- like the majority of non-anglophone gamers.

Btw, dictionary.com says it's cohesion :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by Impaler »

Sorry about that I am a very poor speller (as some of you already know).

I started thinging about what actions in combat would reduce a units "moral" here is a list of ideas.

Time - as time passes morale is lost, this is especialy true of small fighters that must return to the MotherShip. This will help keep battles from running too long. Battle is stressfull and no one can operate at peak efficienty forever under these situations.

Damage to self - If a ship gets shoot up then its logical for the crew to be less efficient becasue many will be killed and the survivors will be unhappy and things will be broken so they are less able to control the ship.

Damage to bretherin - if your side is lossing the battle you guys morale goes down

Damage to Alies - If their are other fleets of a different race in the battle and they are alied with you then having them killed is also bad for morale, but not as bad as if your own people are killed.

Adrimrl or other character killed - not only is everyone sad but the loss of command creates confusion and Chaos.

Loss of Comunication Equipment - If a ship cant comunicate then it cant recive orders and will be less efficinet. (you probably still get to keep controling the ship, it just has lower morale).

And things that would incresse Morale.

Destroying enemy ships/stations/planets/troops ect - Rather obvous

Reinforcments (of your guys) arive in the system - if this is possible then it gives a bost to your guys morale.

Time spent in a low alert level - This is to counter balance the first sugjestion. Perhaps their is some way to let your ships "take a break" and relax so they can not only Repair themselves but rest mentaly too.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune