[Suggestion] Tooltips for the Galaxy Setup

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Sai
Pupating Mass

[Suggestion] Tooltips for the Galaxy Setup

#1 Post by Sai »

And well, just being a tooltip.

I could contribute for these by writing them. (Have yet to run into a way of doing so though)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Tooltips for the Galaxy Setup

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tooltips must be added in C++ code, most likely in the GalaxySetupPanel constructor.

There actually already is text written that's appropriate for them though, as those options' default settings can be altered from the command line, and there is explanitory text output when listing all command-line options.

Sai
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by Sai »

Mkay, so I need to give this particular thing no more thought? (As in, it will be implemented next monthly release or so? Or are you saying all users should enable these tooltips from the command line? (Most new users don't even know what command line is))

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you don't want or know how to program in C++, there's nothing you can do to actually implement it. You can post a feature request on sourceforge, however.

It might or might not get attention by the next release. It's a relatively small change, so I might do it today if I get around to it. It's also not especially high priority or important compared to other things, so might be forgotten for years.

You can't do anything from the command-line to enable in-game tooltips. Again, they must be added in the C++ code.

Sai
Pupating Mass

#5 Post by Sai »

<shrugs> from your post I understood they were implemented and could somehow be enabled from the command line, ah well, I happen to be an accomplished C++ programmer, but ah well, final post for now don't want to add more noise :/

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This thread is signal, not noise, as galaxy setup window tooltips are a legitimate missing feature.

To clarify my post:
There is text in the stringtable file that is output to the command line if you ask the program for a list of command line options. There are command-line options to set the default settings for the galaxy setup selections, and the text in question describes what the galaxy setup settings do, as a way of describing what the command line options associated with them do.

This text is not displayed in the GUI, however. To display it in the GUI as a tooltip, the C++ code must be altered, and the program recompiled.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#7 Post by shrinkshooter »

in a semi- to barely-related issue, is the galaxy screen going to be 3D? It's awesome how you have layers of stars move when you pan the galaxy, I thought that was pretty cool. I think it would be even better if we could make those stars occupy a 3D instead of 2D space, with the stars still panning. I'm sure someone has said something about this before but I'm just wondering if there is any future plan to implement this.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It's not clear exactly what you're asking, but the playable part of the galaxy is going to stay on a 2D plane, and will not be a 3D volume of stars like MOO3. This was decided because of usability and interface concerns, and perceived lack of need to / benefit from complicating things with 3D galaxies.