Remote resourcing

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

boolybooly
Space Floater

Remote resourcing

#1 Post by boolybooly »

If any of you play Starships Unlimited that has a very interesting economic model where you control remote systems in local regions of space which you mine from core planets using freighter routes which you build.

This has an equivalent in Stars and SE4 with mining ships.

What if a core planet in FO could exploit its entire system but has to share it if an enemy colony starts up in the same system. Could cause a punch up ;)

Maybe you build mining ships both systemship or starship which can use any low gravity moons or asteroid belts ? Starships can leave the system. They have a registered home planet and can add a proportion of the target resource wealth to its industry richness multiplier. Registry (home planet) could be transferred to assist new or poor planets. Distance from target resource to home planet could modify the assistance given so across the map it would reduce it to about 10% of mining in the same system on pro rata basis efficiency / distance. System miners therefore being more efficient in both ship size and efficiency.

Resource mining ships can be destroyed in combat and replaced by enemies' ships if they have mining starships or mining system ships of their own (is there both in FO ?).

That would add some spice to system defence. Then you can use system ships to oust visiting enemy mineral freighters and allies would have to put up with each others miners. You could hamper enemy growth by patrolling empty systems or leaving guards.

If no system ships then in system use mining outposts which are cheaper to build so a single planet can hog an entire system of moons and roids.

Moons & roids only mind you as gravity is concern and no ships to block coloniseable planets.

Odi
Space Floater

#2 Post by Odi »

ahhh, well, personally I always hated such a level of micromanagment, besides this idea would only work if minerals are just a local thing that doesn't appear as a empire-wide ressource (as you mentioned).
zaba zaba zud zud

boolybooly
Space Floater

#3 Post by boolybooly »

So ships would be a micromanagment hell, actually I agree.

but if you automatically got a cut of the systems resources as a bonus but had them halved by enemy occupation ? or would that be too dry ?

if you built resource outposts like you built DEAs in Moo3 or system colony in Moo2 then it would be easier to manage and would be a reason for keeping a system to yourself.

khormin
Space Floater

Re: Remote resourcing

#4 Post by khormin »

What about mining ships that you can post in a system? Instead of military vessels?

Then they "automatically" do the work for you with it...

mrSpaceman
Space Floater

#5 Post by mrSpaceman »

I quite liked the MOO2 approach where you had to build freighters, maybe only because in MOO3 it all happened way too easily. I don't think the idea of having freighters is the best (as you've been discussing), tho' I think (as a player) you want to know that there's something going on there (immersion...yeah! 8) ).

There are two types of remote resourcing, however:

:!: From planets in the same system:

So, perhaps you get the local system supply with a negative (or positive) bonus depending on the combined infrastructure of the system planets and positive bonus from each relevant empire tech & also system buildings (system commerce centre, system commerce protocols, system market economics, commerce optimisations, ...whatever you like...). You don't have to build any ships, though you can affect the supply positively by doing certain things.

:!: From planets in other systems:

Maybe you want to supply that newly colonised system with the excess from your HW? They're not in the same system, but you should be able to do that! Similar commerce modifiers should exist for the interstellar commerce as well as the intra-system case. Some of the modifiers might be common to both types of commerce.

In both cases, you could have negative modifiers for enemy presence or pirates. If an enemy presence gets too big then you will have a blockade situation - ie., no circulation of resources.

Kilvador
Space Krill

#6 Post by Kilvador »

In general, I agree with the previous speaker and would like to suggest:

To implement, perhaps to add a bit of research in tree technologies to how to develop resources within the system and transfer. Such as a tree:

1. Opportunity to develop the resources of stellar systems (asteroids and minor planets).
1.1. Conventional automatic mining station.
1.2. Ships - Automatic delivery of resources to the planet.

2. Ships transporting resources between systems.
2.1. Simple crafts, transporting resources.

3. Improvement of mining stations.
3.1. An increase of 10% efficiency of pump stations.
3.2. Standard protection of pump stations.

Etc.