Multi Dimensional Production Queues

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Multi Dminesional Production Queues

#16 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:There's still the advantage of not using (read: wasting) PP on outpost ships before you're sure you need them. Suppose at turn 50, you decide you don't need any more outpost ships...
Then you should stop building outpost ships. This one is not a legit issue. If you put it at the top of the queue, it will get built the fastest. If you aren't sure how many you will want, or how soon you will need-- then order a smaller number, or don't put it at the top of the queue.
Seriously, it's up to the player to decide if he wants something before the PP all get spent.

If there isn't already there should be a simply way to cancel a multi-unit order in the queue, and receive whatever percentage of the total you have provided enough PP for. Dragging the item out of the queue, or selecting it and hitting "DELETE" comes to mind.

Bigjoe5 wrote:Another example is when there are two different object types that the player wants to build in multiple. Suppose he wants to build Outpost Ships and Mk. 1s at a constant rate.

Player 1 puts an outpost ship in the queue. Then he puts a Mk. 1 in the queue. Then he puts another outpost ship in the queue. Then he puts another Mk. 1 in the queue....

Player 2 puts a stack of outpost ships in the queue and a stack of Mk. 1s in the queue. Seems a lot more convenient to me.
This one is theoretically legitimate, but i'm not so sure it is very compelling. You may want two different ships at a constant rate, but it seems unlikely to me that that state of affairs would last a long time. If you are making so many of these ships that it's a pain to alternate in the queue: Outpost / MK1 / Outpost / ... Then maybe you could enqueue them in sets of 5: 5 Outpost / 5 MK1s / 5 Outposts / ... or something along those lines with little practical difference in the outcome.

OllyG
Space Kraken

#17 Post by OllyG »

I like the multidimensional build queue idea.

It will reduce time altering the build queue in some cases and not add any extra time in all other cases. the programmers will have a bit more work though, so if they don't have time it won't get done.

If I try to build something which I can't I would also like a message to tell me why. For example - 'No shipyard on planet X.' When a technology is selected for reseach all the pre-requisites are added to the queue automatically. Could this be done for buildings and ships too?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've only skimmed, but I think a better name for this idea is "Recurring Production Order" or "Persistent Production Order" or similar.

I can see some use for it, but it's a minor convenience issue, and not one of many missing major features, so it's certainly not a priority. I'd also worry that the UI adjustments to make it usable might be a bit confusing.

Gargamel
Space Floater

#19 Post by Gargamel »

Very happy to see this got implemented, in one form or another. I just started playing again after stumbling on the link deep in my book marks. Downloaded the latest build and was playing.

The implementation is pretty much what I was hoping for, and it works really well! It really made the gameplay that much more enjoyable.

Thanks guys.

(Possibly up for a necro award, eh? Plus it's been bugging me for 6 years that I spelled Dimensional "Dminesional" in the title. Had to fix that!)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

Gargamel wrote: (Possibly up for a necro award, eh? Plus it's been bugging me for 6 years that I spelled Dimensional "Dminesional" in the title. Had to fix that!)
A thread so old it predates my joining the forum in which the original poster thanks for the implementation of the idea, which was also implemented before I got involved? I think that's a pretty good necro, but also a perfectly acceptable one: I look forward to other feedback, there've been so many tweaks just in the last year that 6 years worth is going to be interesting.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Gargamel
Space Floater

Re: Multi Dimensional Production Queues

#21 Post by Gargamel »

Oh, I got a couple paragraphs written down you may have fun tearing apart......

biza
Space Squid

Re: Multi Dimensional Production Queues

#22 Post by biza »

lol,
I was reading and going: what the hell, this is already how queue works.... then reading version 0.3.15.... wait, something is not right here...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Im happy you suggested this, it is great.

Cheers!