ascendancy tech-"tree"

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Lyx
Space Kraken

ascendancy tech-"tree"

#1 Post by Lyx »

Hi,

okay, its late in the night and i dont remember the details yet. This isn't really meant as an proposal but more just, hmm "brainstorming" :-)

Reading the threads about research and tech-trees, i remembered ascendancy. Well, the game imho sucked, but at the same time there were some things which were very addicting - big part of it was their tech-tree-system.

I dont even remember the exact details how it worked and why it was so cool, but i do remember that the tech-tree wasn't "linear" but instead like "paths" with crossings.

Tech-classes (physics, chemistry, etc.) did exist, but..... hmm, how to explain it..... uff...... well, all those tech-classes had their own seperate path..... but at some points they would cross each other. That way, you could get into the situation where you cannot research a certain technology in "physics", because you weren't advanced enough in "chemistry".

But because the way all this was graphically displayed, it was easy to understand and you could plan such things beforehand - you wouldn't get into such a situation without knowing about it long before.

Hmm, probably someone else can explain this better than i can. Anyways, i'm asking myself if the ascendancy approach as a whole.... or maybe parts of it, could be useful and interesting for freeorion?

- Lyx

edit: this could also work as a method to do race-specific tech-trees, without having to create race-specific technologies. The different races would just have different "paths". Or another possibility: Slightly randomize those paths everytime a new game is created - that way, there will be an additional reason why no game is like another.
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."