Happiness treshold for colonizing/building ships

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

em3
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Happiness treshold for colonizing/building ships

#16 Post by em3 »

Looking at that screenshot, maybe the "colonized" icon should be remade in line with the new "domed" icons that relate to colonies (like the icon for reaching the happiness/population threshold). Maybe a dome with a flag or a dome with a plus or an asterisk.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:If your capital (well, your palace, not sure about megalith) is the same species as you you get a bonus, so AI Eaxaw/Trith empires shouldn't be too badly hurt, it's captured worlds that suffer most.
Which is alright i guess. I'm sure Eaxaw/Trith aren't happy that other species are at the center of power. And both species have some value even when they refuse to colonize for you.

So should i create a PR that adds a homeworld bonus of +10 and a capital bonus of +10 to happiness?
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by MatGB »

Not +10, +5 should be enough for each (I'm assuming +5 for living on your homeworld, +5 if your capital is the same species as you?).

While you're at it, having concentration camps set target happiness to 0 would make sense (we can leave the liberation thing for later).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:While you're at it, having concentration camps set target happiness to 0 would make sense (we can leave the liberation thing for later).
Seconded.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#20 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:+5 if your capital is the same species as you?
This is already implemented with the imperial palace. I was thinking about the capital itself receiving another bonus.
MatGB wrote:While you're at it, having concentration camps set target happiness to 0 would make sense (we can leave the liberation thing for later).
Sure.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#21 Post by Sloth »

I'm not sure this is still needed for xenophobic species (i've never played them yet), but it can't really hurt to always be able to colonize with your starting planet. I've created a PR (https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/210) that adds three happiness modifiers:

species on their homeworlds will get + 5 happiness.
capitals will get + 5 happiness.
Concentration Camps will set happiness to 0.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#22 Post by Dilvish »

So, if we're going to take another week before RC1, I think we probably have time to make this change on needing happiness 5 for shipbuilding. For that to happen, to make sure that Xenophobic AI's have a fairly straightforward way to deal with Happiness zero on a key shipbuilding planet, I'd like to have a building that ensures a minimum of happiness 5. It doesn't have to be super cheap, I was thinking perhaps a cost of 50 to 100? We don't have to plan on it staying in long term, but until we get happiness more fleshed out & we get the AI dealing with it better.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Sloth
Content Scripter

#23 Post by Sloth »

Dilvish wrote:So, if we're going to take another week before RC1, I think we probably have time to make this change on needing happiness 5 for shipbuilding. For that to happen, to make sure that Xenophobic AI's have a fairly straightforward way to deal with Happiness zero on a key shipbuilding planet, I'd like to have a building that ensures a minimum of happiness 5. It doesn't have to be super cheap, I was thinking perhaps a cost of 50 to 100? We don't have to plan on it staying in long term, but until we get happiness more fleshed out & we get the AI dealing with it better.
I've always planned for Architectural Psychology to have a happiness boosting effect and a building would be a perfect fit. The branch it's in is pretty low priority though, but its RP cost could be adjusted to make it a medium grab for xenophobics.

Dilvish

#24 Post by Dilvish »

Sloth wrote:I've always planned for Architectural Psychology to have a happiness boosting effect and a building would be a perfect fit. The branch it's in is pretty low priority though, but its RP cost could be adjusted to make it a medium grab for xenophobics.
So, how about dropping the cost of Arch Psy from 200 to 100 (i.e. base 50) then; that extra cost could just be shifted up to both of its successors (Force Energy Structures and Conc Camps).

For a Xeno species to have to pay 120 RP sooner than it would have otherwise, to be able to keep its shipyards running, seems reasonable. I haven't played them a while, not since happiness was needed for colonization, so I don't recall just how far along they tend to start hitting happiness problems, but I would think that it shouldn't be too awful quick.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by MatGB »

Sloth wrote:I've always planned for Architectural Psychology to have a happiness boosting effect and a building would be a perfect fit. The branch it's in is pretty low priority though, but its RP cost could be adjusted to make it a medium grab for xenophobics.
This would be the main prerequisite for Force Energy Structures, the most powerful individual tech in the game?

I had never considered it low priority myself.

As a stopgap, OK, I guess, I dislike too many buildings you want to build regularly. Preferred focus would be an easier approach, that gives +10 happiness.

(Oh, I gave Gaia specials +5 as well this week, which makes sense anyway, not exactly what's looked for but worth mentioning)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish

#26 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:As a stopgap, OK, I guess, I dislike too many buildings you want to build regularly. Preferred focus would be an easier approach, that gives +10 happiness.
I think that (the Focus approach) wouldn't be too bad to code up either; I'll give that a go.