System Markers

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

cseraphi
Space Floater

System Markers

#1 Post by cseraphi »

In another thread I presented this proposal, and it was suggested that I put it in its own thread in case anyone wants to kick it around:
* If I could have a way of attaching colored flags to my star systems I'd be thrilled. (Bonus points if the flags have a customizable comment.) I could use this for so many things-- check back later, send a colony ship here when I get one, this system has no planets so stop clicking on it, etc etc.
To elaborate, what I am imagining is a "mark system" button/hotkey that places a flag on the next star system I click on. That flag could be an actual icon adjacent to the system, a change in the coloration of the text, whatever; the important thing being that I can control the color of the flag when I place it (perhaps a dialog or popup would open upon placement). In the preferences, I should be able to associate a bit of text with each color; that text should be visible as hovertext.

This would have a similar effect to stickies or thumbtacks on a map. Players could use them for a great many things, and it would go a long way to eliminating one of the great hassles of RTS games-- having to *remember* so danged many details about the game-state.

I don't think that the flag concept would need to be applied to fleets, since it is already possible to attach text via the rename function.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: System Markers

#2 Post by Dilvish »

I've been planning to eventually provide a way to flag a system as 'dangerous', as part of a 'safe-move' feature for non-aggressive fleets. I'll bookmark this and try to keep in mind the possibility of expanding that a bit along these lines. But it won't be anytime very soon that I would be working on that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0