UI Suggestion: Species Selection Screen

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Num7
Space Squid

UI Suggestion: Species Selection Screen

#1 Post by Num7 »

Last time I started a new game, I noticed the following.

I have trouble selecting the species I want because it's hard to analyse all their special abilities side by side. Each species has it's abilities in an overlay. I could be more intuitive.

I want to suggest the following, so that the idea can be considered to allow an easier species selection. I know that it's a lame excuse, but what follows is pretty much how they do it in other games.

So, for instance. The single player game setup would take place in 2 screens instead of one.
1st screen would remain pretty much the same (galaxy setup, etc), minus the stuff about the player.
2nd screen would look as the interface mock up below. You'd select the race you want by clicking one of them.
Race Selection Mockup.png
Race Selection Mockup.png (135.78 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
I guess an improved species selection could as well take place in the current galaxy setup screen, below the galaxy image?

Hope this helps.
If this post contains code, it's released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Isengrim
Space Floater

Re: UI Suggestion: Species Selection Screen

#2 Post by Isengrim »

having the mouse-over show the currently selected Species next to the Species the player is hovering over would be better I think, having more then one page would slow setup down a bit (the player wont be able to see all their choices,and would have to change pages to check).