RP(PP)/Turn info on Research and Construction queue UI

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

RP(PP)/Turn info on Research and Construction queue UI

#1 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Hi.

Would it be possible to provide that information (already available in queue items tooltips) directly on the queue UI? (I've made a mock-up for better showing the idea)

Edit: I just noticed I've probably posted this to the wrong board. Should it be in Development » Graphics?
Attachments
rp-turn mockup.png
rp-turn mockup.png (24.51 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: RP(PP)/Turn info on Research and Construction queue UI

#2 Post by The Silent One »

I've put up a pull request today that changes queue items so that they show graphically how much research / production will be added on the current turn. See here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/457
Attachments
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (235.84 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Cpeosphoros »

The Silent One wrote:I've put up a pull request today that changes queue items so that they show graphically how much research / production will be added on the current turn.
Wow, quite nice!!!!

But, although complementar to, not exactly what I had in mind. Thing is, when I'm planning research (and production also, but more with research), I keep mousing over every queued item, to see in the tooltip if I can move then up to the first elements and get one more paralleled development. Having that info upfront would cut a lot of the time I spend doing that.

Another benefit, I think, would be visually cueing new players that queues in FO work differently from other 4X games. I only noticed the parallel development thing (which is, BTW, genius) midgame into my second game. And then, I started just sending the items to the top and rearranging them to see if I could squeeze more research out of them. Way later, I noticed the info was available in the tooltip.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

Cpeosphoros wrote:Would it be possible to provide that information (already available in queue items tooltips) directly on the queue UI?
It shouldn't be hard, and there is also enough space. I'll add it if there's no objections?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:I'll add it if there's no objections?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me.
Well then :)
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/459

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Thanks!!!

Crius
Space Floater

#8 Post by Crius »

Nice addition! :)