The Trayeggadora

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

The Trayeggadora

#1 Post by Sandlapper »

Here's my first race attempt:

The Trayeggadora (Tray-egg-ah-door-ah)

A sloth like race with six appendages. At ease walking on all six, or bipedal wih four "arms". Originally tree dwellers on their Jungle homeworld Myradira, their ape like opposable thumbs allowed them to evently use tools and evolve into sentient creatures.

Physically slow , nature provided them with a high birth rate to offset their eventual losses to swifter predators, until their growing intelligence allowed them to defend themselves. The Trayeggadora soon formed clans, with each clan merging or warring with others until each of the homeworlds three continents had a consolidated clan.

The Vermorda clan of the NorthEast continent, the Raenee of the NorthWest continent, and finally the Tormuud of the South continent. All three of the continents are contiguous at a central location. In this central area there exists a large range of mountains; many years past by before this mountain area was explored. A group of Raenee explorers first discovered that the mountains actually formed a circle and within was an undiscovered paradise, with natural wonders, great masses of valuable gems and metal. The Raenee decided to claim this paradise and make it the Seat of their Clan. A huge fortress\castle was constructed within the paradise. Word quickly spread to the other clans, and attempts to take this paradise, (soon after named Myra Prime), have been ongoing for generations, with each side claiming victory at different times since it's discovery.The battle to control this paradise still endures till today. This ongoing battle has accelerated the tech tree for this race.

There is one particularly peculiar trait of the Trayeggadora, they have a hormonal imbalance, caused by radiation from their system star. Because of an event that happened eons ago, their homeworld has an eliptical orbit. Every 10 years their planet changes from closest point to star to fartherest. This imbalance causes the entire race to change from a benevolent race to a highly agressive race every 10 years. During the five years of "decline" toward aggression, the race increasingly gets hostile, and during the five years of "incline" toward benevolence, there is increasing peace. During "decline" there is heavy research toward military and much warring, and during"incline" much research toward exploration, trading, peaceful projects.

During the eighth reign of the Vermorda clan, in the fourth year of incline, a Tormuud astronomer, named N'Ooth, made an astounding discovery. While studying the recently discovered moons of the fourth system planet, he determined that the smallest moon was actually artificial. This sent shockwaves around their homeworld. How could this be! they wondered. With the realization that they were not alone in the galaxy, this spurred a great space race to be the first clan to reach the artifact. Despite many sabatoge attempts, the Tormuud successfully sent a manned spacecraft to the artifact. It was soon discovered that the artifact was the remains of a derelict spacecraft with advanced technology. With the help of a soon fully functioning fusion rifle found onboard the derelict ship, the Tormuud convinced the other clans to bow to their whims; although they only had one rifle and no knowledge how to produce more, the other clans did not know this. Thus began the sixth reign of the Tormuud, with possession of Myra Prime.

After several months of research, another amazing discovery was made. The ships onboard computers were able to be accessed. Not only were they not alone, there are apparently several species of races,some hostile, according to the data logs from a trading pact found. This did not sit well with the Trayeggadora, especially during the fifth year of decline. So began the First Great Fleet of the Trayeggadora.

Weaknesses of this race: Pathetically slow ground attack, no attack initiative, clan infighting( during years of decline, civil war can break out; an attacking\defending fleet with victory in it's grasp(against another race) may suddenly start fighting among itself if one paticular clan suffers loses more than another clan, giving the other a numerical advantage)

Strengths of this race: High birth rate; quickly populate a colony; good defense (can fire six weapons at once), good at research.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by skdiw »

Sounds pretty cool.

Just to let you know, only the moderators can start a new thread with a new race in this story thread. Did you read the story policy and guidelines first?
:mrgreen:

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Sandlapper »

My apologies to the moderaters, please delete this thread if you feel it neccessary; I HAD read the policy first thing, THEN read through ALL eight pages of the sink for the first time, THEN spent half an hour or so typing up my race and refining. Once I posted the race and backed out of the thread, I noticed most of the races in the sink were in their own threads with newer post dates. My memory thought back to midway in the sink thread about a post between Moriarity and Zanzibar about posting races to seperate threads to make it easier to keep up with. My first thought, with the same races and newer posts was that this had happened. I simply then posted a new thread under this (incorrect) assumption. I even had all the text still in memory, and took all of three seconds to paste and post. Until your response it never occurred to me that the mods, and ONLY the mods, were posting these. AGAIN my apologies. Future races will be in the sink only. :oops:

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Ablaze »

In order to head off any future confusion: This is no longer a rule, your post is in no danger of being deleted, Sandlapper.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Obiwan »

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by That Guy »

Wow, nice. I wish I had that skill, and I might yet... :wink:

Personally, I love the hair effect. Does it have a bone structure yet?

Anyways, amazing, I can't wait to see what is looks like with a texture.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by Sandlapper »

WOW! Me likes!

Well done Obiwan. I wouldn't have any problems with this being the final approved design if this was everyone's consensus.

My original thought was sloth like, and toward that end, I was picturing a fur covered body, with long slender appendages, and being very slow in movement. However, this looks too cool to monkey around with.

EDIT: Original image links broken. Images added back later in this thread, please continue to see them.
Last edited by Sandlapper on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by That Guy »

I bet that is would look like a sloth if it was on all 6, head up, with abit a arm muscule. Btw, he could make it look fuzzy if he made a texture that looks like fur.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Ablaze »

Owww.. shiny.

Me like shinies.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by Obiwan »

Thanks guys
He's got bones but needs some work.
I tried for a sloth like face but once I smoothed him, well he took on a life of his own. To me he is more of an Otter with attitude.

Instead of a jungle world how about swamp with giant tangly trees (fish eater but prefers to stay dry )
Homeworld like his maybe?
Trayeg is an easier name to say. How about Trayeggadora as the name of there high council or something?

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by Sandlapper »

WOW, again! Very nice tangled tree screenshot!

I have no problems using this as part of their homeworld, but bear in mind the storyline includes a circular range of mountains; not saying we can't have swamp and mountains at the same time, but jungle and mountains are more associated with each other. I think we could have a jungle primary classification, but describe world with vast exspanses of swamps used for collecting their primary food source, a fish native to these swamps.

However, I would like to keep the name as is, if possible. It's not much different than saying Australian, American,New Zealander, Indonesian, etc.; for some reason the races provided so far seem to be as brief as possible in number of syllables. I think an extra syllable or two adds some identity and eases recollection of this races traits. I'm not advocating very lengthy names, but I think Trayeggadora is a fair, viable, and not too difficult to pronounce, race name.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by utilae »

Yes, gotta have some looong names. :wink:

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by Obiwan »

Trayeggadora it is then.

I thought a lot about the species as I was building him and its history, trying to follow your description as close as possible. Which by the way I really liked. Especially the split personality bit.
But instead of polluting the thread with ideas which might not be good, I figure I could type them up as a doc. and email to you ( or pm. them)

Its better if one person keeps control of the personality of these creatures so theres a consistant feel to them. You can edit, delete, or use bits of what I write as you see fit.
What do you think?

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Sandlapper »

I'll be glad to hear any suggestions. I'll PM you my email so you can contact me either way.

I agree that the original author should control changes, to retain the spirit of the original proposal; and that discussion of multible changes to a race proposal should be off thread, but one or two suggestions should be fine here in thread. With multible suggestions, we might be able to collaborate on an entirely new race, if I wasn't happy with the suggestions affecting this race.

If I agree with one or more of your suggestions, I'll post here that I agree to the changes(revision/addition), and let you post them in detail to give you full credit.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by Obiwan »

Thanks

For every body else, just to let you know Im not trying to be exclusive here, just weed out any obviously stupid ideas before posting so that the thread doesnt get confusing.