Phinnert

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Phinnert

#16 Post by MatGB »

I had been of the opinion that consistency, etc was a sort of policy, if it's not, that's fine, I don't care.

I think as Sloth's done it with 75% as a PR, we might as well stick with that for now though, we can always tweak it again at a later date. 33d83c7
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:I had been of the opinion that consistency, etc was a sort of policy
To my understanding, the very-strongly-encouraged degree of consistency is that for any given characteristic we don't have too many different buckets for the various species to get put into; that makes plenty of sense to me. Using the same set of buckets for all the different characteristics, on the other hand, does not make much sense to me, and is already not what we do. Stealth, Detection and Supply are all handled very differently (as are Weapons as a practical matter, even if we do nominally pretend their buckets are +/- 25% etc), and the others have a few overlapping buckets but still vary-- I think the only traits that really share the same buckets are Industry and Research.

If the base value for something is 5, then I think it makes tons more sense for the increments to be in groups of 20%. Otherwise you'll get way more confusion from people saying, "ok, 75% of 5, is um, 3 and something, and does that become 3, or does it become 4?" just like we went through a few posts up for the 50% idea.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

I'll also point out that (excluding the flat rate for exobots) our only previous modification for this trait was a 20% decrease in speed for Happybirthday. So doing this as a 25% increase in speed seems less consistent, not more.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Sloth
Content Scripter

#19 Post by Sloth »

I'm not so strongly attached to 0.75. I'm ok with 0.6, so go ahead.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.