How to Add Custom Species to the Game
*** Instructions are out of Date, as this bit of the game rapidly evolves. ***
As FO progresses we'd like this to be easier but for now, here's how you add a species to the game.
There are two text files involved both in the "default" folder: "species.txt" and "eng_stringtable.txt". If you aren't using english, you also need to edit your translation file. You can edit them with any simple plain text text editor.
* In "species.txt" copy and paste. one of the chunks that describe a species. It starts with "Species" and goes to the line starting with "graphic = "icons/species/..."
* Give it a unique name and description tag:
name = "SP_YOURCREATURESNAME"
description = "SP_YOURCREATURESNAME_DESC"
* For a imperial species, make sure it doesn't
have this line:
If you want it to be minor species, make sure it has that line.
* Near the end assign it's EP, by choosing "Good", "Adequate", "Poor", "Hostile", or "Uninhabitable" for each planet type.
environments = [
type = Swamp environment = Adequate
type = Toxic environment = Good
* Finally give it an icon. There's a large number i've made in /default/data/art/icons/species/... or you can add your own file. Change the last line to point to it.
graphic = "icons/species/species-icon-filename.png"
* You could try to change it's production rate or other things, if so good luck, that's too complicated for this post to try to explain.
* Now the words. Some where in eng_stringtable.txt add in the unique name and description tags you chose above.
If your species is the Daleks it might look like this:
'''The Daleks love only one thing:
Notice those aren't quotes boxing in the description but 3 apostrophes in a row.
If you are using a translation, you can also add this in your translation of choice in your own language.